cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 syncs only one direction

Windows 10 syncs only one direction

Girard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I use Dropbox on a Mac at home and a Windows machine at my office. I did not use my old Windows machine for 1.5 years because of the pandemic. I never used Dropbox again on that PC. I got a new office desktop 2 weeks ago, a Windows 10. I installed the Dropbox app, there are no security/firewall issues, all the right boxes seem to be ticked in Preferences, Dropbox is syncing with no issues or problems. Any files and folders I create at the office on the Windows machine upload to the cloud and down to my Mac with no trouble. However, *nothing* I have done on the Mac in the past 1.5 years will download from the cloud to the Windows machine. Can anyone advise? I am at home now, but will try fixes first thing when I go back to work tomorrow. I am wondering if the problem is SmartSync, which is only recognizing the files and folders on the Windows machine, not what is in the cloud.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Girard, thanks for using Dropbox and sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

Could you please let me know if the desktop app on both devices is showing 'up to date' in your menu bar/system tray, or if it's still syncing?

If both are up to date, could the files that aren't showing up on the Windows device contain an invalid character in their names?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Girard, thanks for using Dropbox and sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

Could you please let me know if the desktop app on both devices is showing 'up to date' in your menu bar/system tray, or if it's still syncing?

If both are up to date, could the files that aren't showing up on the Windows device contain an invalid character in their names?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Girard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Genius! Thank you. It is the file name notation (use of invalid characters) that seems to be the root of the problem. I did a couple of test files and folders, and they synced across all devices. So I am now trawling through my files on both machines to clean it all up. What a relief.

Girard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Genius! Thank you. It is the file name notation (use of invalid characters) that seems to be the root of the problem. I did a couple of test files and folders, and they synced across all devices. So I am now trawling through my files on both machines to clean it all up. What a relief.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear it's sorted now @Girard 

Take care and see you around the Community!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Girard New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?