cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accessing online-only files from macos terminal

accessing online-only files from macos terminal

kjmed
Explorer | Level 4

I have a large, shared dropbox folder that is set to "online-only", but I want to make specific files available offline. I know I can do this via right clicks in the Finder window for individual files, but I need to do this for many files. How can I do this via the macOS terminal?

I'm using macOS 12.6, and dropbox v166.4.2920

13 Replies 13

kjmed
Explorer | Level 4

Double-clicking in Finder works fine. Using a standard file IO function like "fopen" in Matlab, or the "grep" command in terminal, does not work. If my GUI app uses a file dialog to let the user identify a file, and then use an IO function to access that filename, it does not work. General purpose IO streams return zero bytes of data.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @kjmed

I believe what you describe is expected, as explained here

Hope this helps a bit.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lagergren
New member | Level 2

Is there a time frame for when/if you can get this fixed? Not being able to get a file synced and available, no matter how you choose to access it, and with what tool, is a huge ergonomic problem for me. Dropbox has become a lot less useful now. This may of course be a MacOS issue too, but if there is a way to get around it, configure stuff differently etc, I would be all ears. 

As you state that this currently doesn't work, could you please tell me if there is a working resolution in the works, or if this is going to be the permanent state of things until Apple does something differently? 

/M 

AlexGourley
Explorer | Level 4

This has been a problem for me as well - exactly as OP described it in detail. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AlexGourley Explorer | Level 4
    lagergren New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    kjmed Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?