cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: does Dropbox compressed photo files???

does Dropbox compressed photo files???

Silisia R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm sending full resolution photo files to clients instead of burning them on a disc, but I want to make sure they are the full resolution. I had a client that had pictures made at Walgreens, and they were pixely..I told her not to resize them at all o her end, but now I'm wondering if they are compressed at all and no longer full resolution. If so, I need to go back to discs.
Thanks!

71 Replies 71

Bryan R.16
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree. I've noticed a decrease in the quality of photos and videos compared to the originals I've uploaded. I can't believe there has been no comment from Dropbox on this thread for over a year! If they are compressed, just tell us, then we can decide whether or not to keep our originals.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Bryan R.: Your not getting a comment because they have commented over and over and said the same thing over and over, NO DB DOES NOT CHANGE YOUR FILES.

Now what I would suggest to you is this:

Stop comparing your ORIGINAL files to the online PREVIEWS of them.

Next time download the file you uploaded and compare the two, since they will be exactly the same file I doubt you will find any difference.

Tim F.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Dave,

Have you read the extensive post I wrote, including full details of how to test and reproduce the change to photos using the iOS Dropbox app?

Could you follow the process that I outlined in my post, ie upload via iOS Dropbox "Camera Upload" feature and then compare the files copied from the phone using a different method such as iCloud photo sync.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Tim F. : see previous reply on test data (this thread)

Kevin1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Tim F: I read your blog post. To be clear, you are talking about the Dropbox iOS app's Camera Upload feature, correct?

"I have used the Dropbox Camera Upload feature for about 18 months to get photos off my iPhone..."

But then here you wrote:

"First of all I extracted a single photo IMG_7082 directly from my iPhone via USB. I copied the file out of the DCIM folder on the phone, which gave me a 2.8MB file as my “master copy”. Checking my Dropbox folder I found the file with the same name had a different checksum and is over 1 megabyte smaller, the plot thickens!"

If you had used the app's Camera Upload feature, the photo would not be named IMG_7082. Are you sure that's how you got that file into your Dropbox account?

Tim F.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Kevin you are correct I found the file from the date and timestamp not the file name, I've corrected the post

The file was transferred via Dropbox camera upload, as you can see from the Github repo I tested multiple file transfer methods, and labelled each one.

Tim F.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Dave nowhere in this thread has anyone actually tested the Camera Upload feature, there are others testing via a normal upload via desktop or web client not via Camera Upload.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Tim F.

You need to make clear VERY CLEAR what your talking about.

You keep naming the iOS Phone app as the "Camera Upload feature", but the "Camera Upload feature" is part of the "Desktop app" (see preferences/import/camera upload), this I have used and it uploads the files the same.

As I run Android I dont have the iOS app installed, however I contacted someone with a iphone and they assure me the photos went up from it the same as well, he has 20+ years of computer technical experience and would not be making a mistake.

I suspect something else on the phone may be involved. (unproven)

Tim F.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@dave232

Dropbox call the feature Camera Upload here: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/upload-mobile

So you are telling me that you have not tested this yourself, please rather than poking at other people take the time to test.

I would also suggest asking your computer expect friend to checksum photos uploaded via Dropbox and via other means. Someone with that level of expertise would take only 5 minutes to make these checks.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Tim F.

Sorry but i think you're being a bit slow as I said, I have an Android phone so CAN'T test it myself, telling me I should go and test it is simply ignoring what I have said or failing to read it.

And anyway, I did have it tested as I said, and he didn't "checksum" the files he didn't need to he performed a binary compare on the data and found it identical. 

The orginal files consisted of 4 camera photos, 4 existing photos, 4 added photos

The original files were compared to (1) web downloads from DB : identical

The original files were compared to (2) desktop synced from DB : identical (data stream)

The only differences detected was the addition of the DB ADS stream attached to the file when downloaded via the desktop client, for most users they would not even know this exists, and its content has no reference to the datastream.

Need more support?