cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does Dropbox compressed photo files???

does Dropbox compressed photo files???

Silisia R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm sending full resolution photo files to clients instead of burning them on a disc, but I want to make sure they are the full resolution. I had a client that had pictures made at Walgreens, and they were pixely..I told her not to resize them at all o her end, but now I'm wondering if they are compressed at all and no longer full resolution. If so, I need to go back to discs.
Thanks!

71 Replies 71

Tony K.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Over the last few days, I've noticed a significant degradation of some images that I've uploaded to DB.  Is it possible that there's a new compression algorithm at work?  I understand that previously DB has stated that there's no compression at work.  Maybe that's true, maybe it's not.  I've always noticed some minor loss of clarity.  But what I've seen over the last few days crosses be boundary of what's acceptable and what is not.  Thoughts anyone?

Randy & Linda R
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just ran a test on a photo file from my Canon 7D. Here's how the test was operated:

- Shot the photo, copied the photo onto my desktop

- Right-click photo, properties

- Recorded image size, resolution, pixel dimension, color space, pixel aspect ratio, color mode (RGB), bit depth

- Uploaded the photo to DropBox

- Use a different computer to download the same photo from DropBox (used a different computer to avoid the possibility that DropBox might reference the onboard file)

- Checked the photo properties of the downloaded file

The file downloaded from DropBox presented specs identical to the file that was upload.

FYI...

garry s.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Repeat your test with a photo taken with an Android or iOS device - and let the Dropbox uploader upload it automatically to Dropbox.

Randy & Linda R
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, I suppose there are ways to upload to DropBox that might alter the file. My point is, with a manual upload, I detected no changes.

Jim M.11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Those dropboxers responding that there's no change in resolution upon uploading are lying or blind!! You guys better get your eyes tested. The change is to obvious. The problem is I remove photos on my 12 mp IPhone 6s as soon as its uploaded to Dropbox and the difference in resolution is a lot!! Especially videos!!

Erik R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just went to download an old video I had uploaded via the app on my iPhone 6s. Noticed that the video looked compressed. Downloaded the video from my iPhone and played the video downloaded from Dropbox. Noticed quite a difference in quality. Tried another video and did not see the compression. I am not sure what is going on? 

Rudy H.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you sure you don't compare with the thumbnail used on the website (dropbox.com).When you upload a photo (or a video), Dropbox servers save your original file (without modifications) and create a thumbnail in order to display it on the website (to quicky browse them and not download a 5Mb files for each pictures), you can access to the original picture using the "open" button. If you use the desktop application, the app will download the original version too.

Tim F.20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As has been explained a number of times in this thread, the Dropbox iOS application that uploads from the main phone camera roll to Dropbox absolutely definitely changes files.

There is a blog post that I wrote that lays out in some detail with example files uploaded from my iPhone using a number of cloud services to show the differences, and in Dropbox's case the unique ID number embedded in the file.

I can't make any comment about the uploading of files via the desktop client or via the web as I haven't tested them, but I can say with certainty and proof that images are recompressed during upload from the iOS Dropbox app.

https://blog.night-shade.org.uk/2015/06/dropbox-iphone-camera-upload-changes-photos/

Shlomi S.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What happened to dropboxer in this thread? They have no answer to this well documented issue! Honestly I feel pretty cheated that my family videos n pics are lower quality.
...yaaa I'm cancelling my account

Bryan R.16
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree. I've noticed a decrease in the quality of the photos and videos compared to the originals I've uploaded. I can't believe there has been no comment from Dropbox on this thread for over a year! If they are compressed, just tell us, then we can decide whether or not to keep our originals.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

henry w.7 New member | Level 2
    Ste V. New member | Level 1
    Ira1 New member | Level 1
    S A.1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?