cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

folder name change causes sync issues

folder name change causes sync issues

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm renaming folders in an attempt to get shorter paths (to get rid of these sync problems). Renaming a folder has lead to sync issues several times. After changing a folder name on the mac desktop app (v57.4.89) dropbox displays the "can't sync folder not empty" error for some folder contained in the folder with the different name that used to sync just fine. Resolved by removing the folder from Selective Sync, quit and restart DB, waiting to sync, adding the folder back and waiting to sync. 

Is it better to change names on the web interface and let the changes sync to the computers from there?

thanks

11 Replies 11

kinman1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Lusil,

Thanks for responding.

I have a folder labeled, in part, "2200" and on my computer, in my Finder, I simply changed it to "220" (dropping one of the "0's." This was done on my laptop. I got a message that I had deleted "2200" and created "220," which is behaviour I've seen in the past, and makes sense to me.

When I went to my desktop several hours later, Dropbox had sync'd those changes for the folder, and had properly sync'd a larged number of the files in that folder. However, the DB menulet at the top continued to have the "I'm syncing" icon on it, and indicating that it was syncing 13 files. And kept that message until the next morning. I've certainly seen that before as well.

In looking at View Sync issues, I get the attached message, and it's wrong. The info file does not have the "locked" box checked, and it's not a permission problem.

[Screenshot was here]

When I hover over the DB menulet icon, the hover message is "Can't sync xxx (this directory isn't empty)" (I can't take screen shot of a hover message, but that's the exact quote).

When I go to my online DB and search version history for these files, it indicates that

" [my name] moved the file from /.../2200 xxx/[name of file]..."

and frustratingly I can't what comes after ... (it's not a live link to anything). The bulk of this message makes sense, because technically I did move. But it seems as though DB no longer knows (on my desktop) where to locate this file.

I have even tried moving that file out of DB entirely, to no avail. And it syncs perfectly on my laptop.

Please let me know if there's any more information that you might need.

Again, thanks for you help.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional details, @kinman1 - much appreciated!

In order to ensure troubleshooting, I'd recommend checking this article out for some ideas that may help to tackle this behavior. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    kinman1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?