cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how about a force sync/refresh button?

how about a force sync/refresh button?

Alan C.23
New member | Level 1

I am looking at my drop box through my browser, everything is there and up to date. I'm also looking at my drop box on my computer, it says everything is there, no syncing icons, just a big bag of green ticks. but one does not equal the other. whats on my computer isn't whats in my drop box. I am missing folders and files.

there needs to be a refresh button or right click option to force a refresh of folder contents on your computer.

After much mucking around I paused the sync (even though it said there was nothing to sync) restarted the sync and bingo they appeared. no downloading, just there as if they'd been there all along.

This also happens when I save a image or file into the drop box folder on my computer, if I then go find that image/file in an application such as indesign or photoshop its not there, as in it won't appear in the window dialog. But if I go to the finder and look for it, its there.

Syncing like that is really slow or is non existent.

So freaking frustrating.

45 Replies 45

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

IMHO it sounds more like you have a faulty computer.
Not being able to see the file in a folder via the select file dialog box of an application but being able to see it via the folder explorer, has nothing to do with DB, that sounds more like the folder content changed service your SO supplies to applications is not functioning.
This would also result in the DB application requiring a pause and resume to detect new files as it subscribes to the same content changed service of the OS to see when files appear as does items like open file dialog.

Alan C.23
New member | Level 1

The computer is a iMac 5K with 24gb of ram and is 4 months old. it runs flawlessly and gives me no other issues, hickups or snags. I don't see how it can be a faulty computer when the only issue I have is dropbox.

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

LOL, whipity do what specs its got, do Lear jets not fall out of the sky or something?

You said "when I save a image or file into the drop box folder on my computer, if I then go find that image/file in an application such as indesign or photoshop its not there,"
Since that FOLDER is just a FOLDER just like every other FOLDER if its not working between you copying files into it with some OTHER program, and looking at it with some OTHER program, then why is that DB's fault.
You have already said the DB app is suffering non sync issues and then said other applications also are suffering the same way, how does this then make it DB's fault?
Heck I could say, well since InDesign cant see the file it must be InDesigns fault causing DB not to sync the file. (which would be just as incorrect)

Alan C.23
New member | Level 1

dude, I don't care whose fault it is, its an issue that can be fixed by the addition of a reload/refresh button. And since it is an issue around viewing files within dropbox, then I'm going to go with dropbox resolving the issue, its not the OS's problem to resolve third party apps issues or bugs, whether they are part of the programming or the interaction with the OS.

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

Well it wont happen, your faulty OS install isnt this apps problem to fix. It isnt broken for the other 100,000,000 users.
So we dont feel like the pointless inclusion of an option that does no more than a pause & resume (which you can do now in 5 seconds)
Just so you can feel better about the faulty install of the OS you have. (the one you admitted to when you said Indesign suffers from the same fault).

Alan C.23
New member | Level 1

Maybe 99,999,999 other users just haven't questioned it yet.

I'm just trying to raise an issue that I have, and maybe other people have too. But you seem intent on believing that dropbox is completely bugfree.

Do you work for drop box? because the way you are writing indicates that you do. and frankly your professionalism is pretty poor.

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

Your problems steam from that your full of opinions that you believe are fact, yet are not. 3 in your last post alone.
"Maybe 99,999,999 other users just haven't questioned it yet."
No, I think it would be pretty obvious to us all if every one else was having your problem.
"But you seem intent on believing that dropbox is completely bugfree."
No, I never said that, I explained how DB gets its update alerts on changing files, and how InDesigns Open File Dialog will also, both from the OS both you are reporting are not working, conclusion OS faulting in not reporting to all applications requesting said info.
This in no way implies DB is bug free, so I assume that you just boasted that out to attempt to mitigate my conclusion that your OS is not supplying info to apps as expected of it.

"Do you work for drop box? because the way you are writing indicates that you do. and frankly your professionalism is pretty poor."
No, and the way I write indicates anything BUT that I work for them, you state a lack of professionalism and yet you say I write in such a way as to imply I work for them, the two statements conflict on the assumption of employment with DB IMHO.
Now to explain why I pointed out the above misconceptions by yourself. If you wont consider anything but the idea that you are correct from the start and that it can only be what you think is wrong, even in the face of explanations of cause, your destined to just have a non functioning app, non functioning for the same reason a car wont run without petrol, nothings is wrong with it, it just needs something to make it work, which isnt being supplied. Sitting in the car and telling everyone its the car company who should fix, that the car doesnt go when it doesnt get petrol, and that they should make a handle that each time you turn it the car goes for that second, wont get anyones attention at the car company, and wont impress the other car owners in having this pointless handle.

Wayne J.8
New member | Level 1

I have a similar issue with Dropbox sync in windows, sometimes it even crashes explorer and or a program I am using. Once I turn syncing off all is OK. If there was a way to have Dropbox sync work only once you have finished accessing or closed a file that would be great. Stop trying to sync a file i am working on would be ideal ( bit stupid that it does really )

Erika O.1
New member | Level 1

I have a similar problem, and I'm on a PC. Two computers both showing Dropbox sync is up to date, but they differ... 

For some reason the files on my laptop are not syncing.  I would like to see a 'force sync' button too Dave C..!! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aaz125 New member | Level 2
    BigBlackBoots New member | Level 2
    Remy J. New member | Level 1
    Archivo C. New member | Level 1
    Ernest R.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?