cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to use a dropbox link to view a pdf file from the SMS messaging app of cell phones?

is it possible to use a dropbox link to view a pdf file from the SMS messaging app of cell phones?

Startup123
New member | Level 2

I put a pdf file in the public folder in Dropbox, copied the link and send it as a SMS message using a phone with Android 11. When I and also  the recipient who is using Android 9 open the link it looks like a PDF viewer is trying to open the file but it only shows a brief message saying: (Cannot display PDF "name of file" is of invalid format) and then the phone screen is going back to the message app.

I can open copies of this pdf file on all my desktop computers and phones when directly accessed from their storage media with all browsers and pdf viewers without any problems.

So, is it possible to share files by Dropbox links using SMS messages on Android and other phones as well?

1 Reply 1

Startup123
New member | Level 2

I manage to solve my problem by using Google Drive. Sending SMSs with links to the files when they are on Google Drive can open and view the pdf files without any problem. So the problem is related to Dropbox links not working when used in SMS on Android.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Startup123 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?