cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared links vs folders and use of storage space

shared links vs folders and use of storage space

buckleyp
Explorer | Level 3

I am confused about the difference between shared links and shared folders.

here it says that if I create a shared folder it uses my storage space but if I create a link it doesn't

https://help.dropbox.com/storage-space/storage-space

but it seems they are basically the same now, as in if you create a link you are doing the same thing as if you create a shared folder.

is this article out of date? 

I was wanting to create a link to share some large files and so that it is not included in the recipient's storage space, but whenever they receive the link (or shared folder invitation), it just asks them to join the folder, and the files are included in their storage space anyway.

is there no option to just share a link any more and for the recipient to see the files but not have them included in their storage space?

or how do I do this?

thanks!

20 Replies 20

Mark
Super User II

Hi @buckleyp 

You have slightly mis-read it.... the article is on about recipients and their quota. If you send somebody a shared LINK then they dont need to add it to their Dropbox account and as such it doesnt use their quota. A shared folder with read/write access DOES use quota. 

However, as the files are on your account they use space - thats how you can create said links. 

@buckleyp wrote:

is there no option to just share a link any more and for the recipient to see the files but not have them included in their storage space?

Send them a shared link 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

buckleyp
Explorer | Level 3

I was exactly meaning THEIR quota. 

I sent them the link, but all they can do is "join" the folder, which means it then ends up being included in their quota.

I cannot see a difference between sending a shared link and setting up a shared folder.

thank you!

Mark
Super User II

Have you given them edit access? For that it has to be a shared folder

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

buckleyp
Explorer | Level 3

Well the create link seems to be able to be either edit or view, but I only need view in fact.

Mark
Super User II

On my machine here I simply right click the directory and choose 'copy dropbox link'. 

If you just click on 'Share Link' on the website it seems to now auto add on editing rights. 

Try clicking on the three ...'s next to the folder/file name, then Share with Dropbox and use that to create a view only one if its via website

buckleyp
Explorer | Level 3

but then see what happens when it is received...  the recipient has to "join" the folder meaning it then becomes part of the recipients quota.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @buckleyp, if your recipient is getting a message to join the folder, when opening the link, it means that the link you created is a "can edit" one.

If you're doing this from the website, hover over the folder you want to share, click on the share icon (rectangle with an up arrow) and you should be able to access the settings, to make sure you're getting a "can view" link instead.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

buckleyp
Explorer | Level 3

the behaviour is the same for read only also.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Would you mind opening your link from a private browsing/incognito window yourself and let us know if you see the same thing?

If so, please send us a screenshot of the message you see.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ahsieh Dropbox Product Manager
    buckleyp Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?