cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files does not free up space

Deleting files does not free up space

t84a
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I deleted about half of my files and then permanently deleted them in the "Deleted Files" section.  It still says I'm about out of space. Is there something else I need to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

t84a
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It was my SMS backup program.  All solved.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Deleted files do not use up quota, so, permanenetly deleting them makes no difference and wont impact quota. 

It also doesnt matter how many you delete its how BIG the are that is the issue. You could delete 100,000 files but if that only uses up 2kb of space then thats all that will be reduced from quota. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

t84a
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks. To clarify, I deleted roughly half of my data and the amount used did not change.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Where did you delete from? Did you remove them from www.dropbox.com/home as well? (i.e. if you did it on your computer have you given it time to sync to the cloud?)

What is www.dropbox.com/account showing - its possible that shared folders are using it up. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

t84a
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I used my PC and deleted them.  My Plan states "Using 5.23 GB of 5.5 GB".  Most of the files were pictures.  I deleted several hundred pictures as well as the folders.  It would be nice if Dropbox had a way to look at my storage usage by folder.  Thanks Mark. I appreciate your help.

t84a
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So now my account shows 5.7 of 5.5 despite deleting more files.  So is there no way to get support other than the Chat bot or this community? 

t84a
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, so I just permanently deleted my files in Deleted and my usage increased to 5.83.  This is getting funny.

t84a
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It was my SMS backup program.  All solved.

Laus
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello

DB says that I've finished the space (70gb used on 9gb !!)

I've emptied the space, disconnected all the accounts, permanently remove deleted files, but it is still warning that the space i exausted (now 67gb over 9gb).

Is there something that I can do to force refresh of checking space usage?

Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Laus wrote:

Is there something that I can do to force refresh of checking space usage?

Space is reclaimed immediately when files are deleted. No need to permanently delete them. What does your Plan page show for usage? This is the true status of your account. If it shows that you're using 67 GB, then you're still using 67 GB somewhere in your account. Remember that shared folders you're a member of count against your storage as well. The Plan page will show you a breakdown of regular versus shared files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Cressida Downey Explorer | Level 3
    Mish1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?