cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Link Recipients Get Notifications When Changes to the Shared Folder are Made (or Just Me)?

Do Link Recipients Get Notifications When Changes to the Shared Folder are Made (or Just Me)?

ZenasZelotes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When I share a folder with someone, and allow them to edit the folder, I notice that I get alerts every time that person makes changes to the shared Dropbox folder.  So if, for example, they upload new files to the folder, I get a message saying just that.

So my question is, when I make changes to that folder, is the person with whom I shared the folder getting the same alerts ... or am I (the person who sent the link) the only one who is getting the alerts ...?  

On a related note, if the other person is getting the alerts, is there a way to adjust the settings so that the other person is not getting the alerts ...?

I don't care if I (myself) get the alerts or not ... but I do care if the other person is getting the alerts. 

Any insight would be appreciated.  

Thanks.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

To be clear because you've mentioned sharing via a link...

Share links provide view and download access only, and do not provide edit access. People that have the link will not be notified of changes made to the file or folder.

For a shared folder, which is what it sounds like you're using, they will receive notifications of any changes within the folder. You have no control over that. Each user can determine if they want to receive such notifications.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Maria749
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi! 

This is what I found:

Yes probably they get these alerts too, and unfortunately you can only switch off the alerts you get. 

This is how:

Your face (right-up corner) -> Settings -> Notifications -> and remove the tick:

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

To be clear because you've mentioned sharing via a link...

Share links provide view and download access only, and do not provide edit access. People that have the link will not be notified of changes made to the file or folder.

For a shared folder, which is what it sounds like you're using, they will receive notifications of any changes within the folder. You have no control over that. Each user can determine if they want to receive such notifications.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Maria749 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?