cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Deleted My Files

Dropbox Deleted My Files

weinmann3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

One of my Main DropBox Folders was automatically delted today. I know what Dropbox is going to say, must have been me cause it wasn't them. I, for a fact, know that it wasn't me. I hold a degree in computer science and there is no way that i would have deleted that folder by accident. It contained thousands of files that I need back immediately. When i went to the Deleted Files section on the browser version of DropBox and tried to restore the folder, all it gave me was an error message saying "Files can not be restored." Thats it, no further explanation. Then the deleted folder dissapeared from the Deleted Files section and is no longer showing up in Deleted Files. I had to go to "Events" to even see a record of the folder being deleted. Now I have given the event link to DropBox and they said they will give it to the restoration department but that was 4 hours ago and still nothing. Anyone else have huge folders suddenly being deleted and they know they didn't do it? I remember back in 2014 there was a bug due to selective sync that was causing things like this to happen, maybe they have another bug

14 Replies 14

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @nglayton, thanks for joining us on this thread. 

Are you by any chance getting the same behavior when you quit the desktop app, so that it's not running?

You can do that by clicking on the Dropbox icon (on your menu bar), selecting your avatar that's on the top right corner of the menu, and then choosing Quit/Exit.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nglayton
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I do not get the same behavior if the dropbox app is not running.

That would imply a MacOS issue, which this is not.

It also only happens within the dropbox folder, no other folders on my desktop or other drives.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
In this case, could you check this page to find your options for contacting our team?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

momentbymomenttruth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My files were deleted a few years ago. I just figured Dropbox wouldn't even let me pay for customer service. I will pay for my files back.  Please. My wife died, and I had some very sentimental content on there. Thank you.

nglayton
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm sorry to hear this.  I could be wrong, but I don't think dropbox would have an easy way to recover files from 2 years ago.

Of course it may be possible, but would probably require a specialized support call of some kind.

But I really have no idea if they can do it at all from that long ago.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nglayton Explorer | Level 3
    momentbymomenttruth New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?