cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox constantly creating desktop.ini files - how do disable this?

How to stop Dropbox from creating desktop.ini files?

docabs
New member | Level 2

After dragging the desktop.ini file to the trash a few times, and seeing it re-created, I instead right-clicked and deleted it. So far (5 minutes or so), it has not been recreated. Maybe it's somehow related to a glitch in Windows 10? In any event, it's gone, for now.

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for taking the time to post about your experience with this, @docabs.

If the issue returns, please let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dandid
Helpful | Level 6

I only scrolled down to see if someone else was going to offer up this solution.

There is a reason those files are hidden by default. They upset people not expecting to see them.

You either hide 'hidden files' or you're going to see them.

dont let these peoepl see what a mess Osx makes of a Zip file that gets opened on a PC! 

dalford87
Explorer | Level 3

I also started having this problem. But found this solution: (worked for me; but may not work for others)

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001562.htm

Jernau
Explorer | Level 3

Sadly that's not a solution to this bug, just a standard windows option.

I don't know if the bug still exists though as I stopped using DropBox.

Rich
Super User II

@Jernau wrote:

Sadly that's not a solution to this bug, just a standard windows option.

This isn't a bug. Desktop.ini files are created by Windows, not Dropbox, for any folder that has been customized. These files control how a folder is displayed to you. Dropbox may be telling Windows that a folder should use a custom icon, but its Windows that saves that information in a desktop.ini file so that it will know how to display the folder to you. These files are only visible if you enabled the option to display hidden files, and they don't sync to your Dropbox account online.

Need more support?