cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is full and I can't delete files to free up space

Dropbox is full and I can't delete files to free up space

KLM3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My dropbox is full. I want to go into my account and empty out some files, but my only allowed option is to upgrade to a paid account. How can I access my files and delete some items so the space is not full?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@KLM3 wrote:

My dropbox is full. I want to go into my account and empty out some files, but my only allowed option is to upgrade to a paid account.

Dropbox doesn't prevent access to your account when it's full. It just prevents you from syncing and adding new content until you're back below quota.

If you're signing in to the website and you're being presented with an option to upgrade, it's likely just a window that you can close and continue to your account. If not, take a screenshot and post it here, being sure to mask any private information.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@KLM3 wrote:

My dropbox is full. I want to go into my account and empty out some files, but my only allowed option is to upgrade to a paid account.

Dropbox doesn't prevent access to your account when it's full. It just prevents you from syncing and adding new content until you're back below quota.

If you're signing in to the website and you're being presented with an option to upgrade, it's likely just a window that you can close and continue to your account. If not, take a screenshot and post it here, being sure to mask any private information.

KLM3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Perfect. Thanks!

nikkidolson
Explorer | Level 3

I have two zip files appearing in my recent list that are work files downloaded to the work computer. I was logged into Dropbox on that computer and now those files are putting me over my storage limit. Literally over by 20 GB. I can't delete the files. My only options are to see Activity (download from Google Drive) and File activity. They aren't shared files. 

Mark
Super User II

Can you delete them from www.dropbox.com/home ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

nikkidolson
Explorer | Level 3
I can’t.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nikkidolson, sorry to see you're having trouble.

If you go to the page that Mark linked you, are you able to actually see the files?

And if so, why are you not able to delete them?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nikkidolson
Explorer | Level 3

Hannah,

When I click the three dots I don’t get the option to delete the zip file. I don’t know why these zip files are behaving differently except they shouldn’t be in my Dropbox. I didn’t even download them to my dropbox at all. I downloaded them to my work computer through a link sent to me. 

IMG_9533.jpeg

 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@nikkidolson, is this .zip file owned by someone else perhaps, and not you? 

Are you seeing the option to delete the rest of the files showing in your screenshot?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nikkidolson
Explorer | Level 3

 

Nancy,

I did receive a Dropbox link to download the file so I guess it is owned by someone else but I can’t remove it from my Dropbox. I didn’t realize that just being logged in would immediately download it to my Dropbox.

This is what the rest of the files show:IMG_9534.jpeg

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nikkidolson Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?