cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Overwrite a filename vs creating a new version

Dropbox no longer overwriting files

aisb
Helpful | Level 7

A few days ago, Dropbox stopped overwriting files when I edit and re-save them. Now, every time I edit one of my files on iPad and save to Dropbox, it creates a new file ending in (1). It used to simply update the file. I've tried re-installing dropbox and Illustrator (the app I'm saving from), but it hasn't worked. I've also tried saving from Procreate and the same issue occurs. Is there something else I can try? Thanks!

89 Replies 89

clira
Collaborator | Level 9

Problem still exists for me on iPad with current app.  Simple question- has someone from the Dropbox test team spent 10 minutes with an iPad to investigate the issue?  The repro steps are very simple and are documented numerous times in this thread.  

aisb
Helpful | Level 7
Hello! I still am having the same issue and I would still like to resolve it if you’re able to follow up. The person who was emailing me has gone silent.

As someone else asked, is anyone on the Dropbox team able to try this on an iPad for themselves? And send me a video so we can make sure we’re on the same page? I get evasive responses whenever I ask for this, but a straight up yes or no would be really appreciated. Last person told me their device was broken, and the interaction made it sound like you don’t have access to iPads. Is this the case?

aisb
Helpful | Level 7
After months of communication about this and getting absolutely nowhere, my emails are now going to an unattended inbox. No additional support from the person who messaged us above. Hopefully these people have moved on to better places!!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @aisb, which ticket number are you talking about? 

Can you send it to me, so I can locate it on my end? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JalapenoCheese
Helpful | Level 6

I realize versions of this same question have been asked here before but I haven’t found any that satisfactorily address my frustration.

I want to begin by mentioning this is a NEW behavior for Dropbox. I have not changed anything I am doing, yet the outcome is now different. 

I have maintained a spreadsheet (numbers version) on my iPad for years. Updating it & adding new information as it is available & with every update, I save it to my Dropbox. This has always resulted in the file within Dropbox being overwritten with the new version but it has never changed the name of the file. ie: adding a (1) or other sequential number behind the filename, until recently. In the other threads asking a similar question it was mentioned that this is expected behavior when saving a file from a different device. I want to emphasize that I am NOT saving from multiple devices. I am NOT doing anything differently (to my knowledge) than I have ever done when updating this/these spreadsheets. Again, appending the filename is a new behavior so something has either changed in the manner Dropbox is treating saved files or Apple made changes in their iOS that caused Dropbox to change the way it handles these saved files. 

Can anyone offer help with this? 

TYIA 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @JalapenoCheese, let's jump right into this! 

Which version of the app you're using on your iPad, and when did you notice those chances? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

clira
Collaborator | Level 9

@JalapenoCheese , this is exactly what is being discussed here, so you are in the right place.  I also save from only one location- my iPad.  Previously, Dropbox would say that the file already exists, and ask if I want to overwrite it.  I'd say yes, and be done.  Now it does not prompt, it simply adds the new file with a (1) appended to the file name.  I have to delete the original file, the rename the new one to get rid of the (1).  This started after a Dropbox app update a while back, and has happened before- I think I linked my report of the prior occurrence in this thread.  It sounds like so far there has just been lots of runaround.  

lindswah007
New member | Level 2

I am having this problem too. I use procreate to save images to dropbox. I really need to have the option to overwrite files with the same name. It used to give me this option but also stopped a couple of months ago and now saves with the same file name but (1) at the end. Thank you

aisb
Helpful | Level 7
My ticket was #17021399. The communication went for months and involved me recording videos of the same problem over and over, and the support person blaming me, my iPad, and Adobe, whilst not demonstrating that they’d even tried it on their end. It’s been extremely frustrating.

Can we get confirmation from someone that this is not how Dropbox is supposed to behave, and that it is seen by Dropbox as a problem to be rectified? I couldn’t get a straight answer.

JalapenoCheese
Helpful | Level 6

App version 290.2.2

I don’t have an exact date that I noticed the changes but I can tell you it’s been about 3-4 months? 

Need more support?