cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Overwrite a filename vs creating a new version

Dropbox no longer overwriting files

aisb
Helpful | Level 7

A few days ago, Dropbox stopped overwriting files when I edit and re-save them. Now, every time I edit one of my files on iPad and save to Dropbox, it creates a new file ending in (1). It used to simply update the file. I've tried re-installing dropbox and Illustrator (the app I'm saving from), but it hasn't worked. I've also tried saving from Procreate and the same issue occurs. Is there something else I can try? Thanks!

89 Replies 89

jhnyguitar
Explorer | Level 4
I’m having the same issue as of a few weeks ago. It affects saving files in my iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Pro. It’s very irritating. Also, the app changes the file names to all lower case, which is also irritating as my file naming is all about ease of selecting correct files. I’m thinking about cancelling my subscription and just using iCloud.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, I hope you’re all doing great!

Are any of you still facing the same issue, by any chance? 

If so, please let me know so that we can open a ticket for you.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

clira
Collaborator | Level 9

Nancy, sorry to be a jerk, but you all have known about this reintroduced problem for over 4 months, and have not fixed it yet.  We have been asked to provide reproductive steps, and we have.  Some on this thread have spent extensive amounts of *wasted* time working with your team.  You all have had everything thing you needed to fix this problem for a long time now, except, apparently, the will to do so.  How will opening another ticket be any different?  The impression, quite clearly, is that you all have no interest or intent in fixing this.

jhnyguitar
Explorer | Level 4

Yes.  I'm still having the same issue.  Additionally, Dropbox is changing the file names to all lower case and removing upper case letters.  It's very irritating and I'm thinking about switching over to iCloud.  One other issue is that Dropbox seems to stall quite frequently when I try to attach a file in Mac Mail.  I have to quit Mac Mail and wait for a few minutes.  I then relaunch it and it seems to work.  Very irritating.  

JalapenoCheese
Helpful | Level 6
YES WE ARE STILL EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE.

aisb
Helpful | Level 7
Of course we're still having this issue. Does anyone from Dropbox have any intention of trying to fix it, or even acknowledging the problem? It's been months.

mimicapri
Helpful | Level 5
Yes, I also have this problem on my iphoneXr since ios15, but not on my ipad air2 despite it being on ios15 too. Very annoying on the phone. I save Gdrive documents regularly to my dropbox, so the replace option is a godsend when it works… please, fix this!

amirb
New member | Level 2

This is *extremely* annoying.   A hassle every time I upload  a file.

Such indifference toward users - perhaps it is time to move in from Dropbox.

aisb
Helpful | Level 7
I would strongly recommend moving to another service if you can. Dropbox has no intention of trying to resolve the issue, and they treat their users with contempt.

Blackie1
Helpful | Level 6
This thread started in May and STILL no legitimate response to the simple question ‘why are we unable to overwrite files anymore?’ That’s the core of this thread and all we get back is to open tickets and for US to do troubleshooting. Why not give us a rational reason for this change and whether it will be reversed/fixed in the foreseeable future. That’s all we wanna know.
Need more support?