cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Overwrite a filename vs creating a new version

Dropbox no longer overwriting files

aisb
Helpful | Level 7

A few days ago, Dropbox stopped overwriting files when I edit and re-save them. Now, every time I edit one of my files on iPad and save to Dropbox, it creates a new file ending in (1). It used to simply update the file. I've tried re-installing dropbox and Illustrator (the app I'm saving from), but it hasn't worked. I've also tried saving from Procreate and the same issue occurs. Is there something else I can try? Thanks!

89 Replies 89

JalapenoCheese
Helpful | Level 6

FINALLY!

Today I uploaded my spreadsheet to Dropbox and to my surprise it asked me if I wanted to replace the existing file with the same name.  E1B67F6B-FF76-46F5-B562-1F7EBC9BF30A.jpeg

Why did this take so long for Dropbox to fix? I don’t know & I don’t care, it’s fixed now. Dear Dropbox, Please don’t break this again! 

Thank you 

clira
Collaborator | Level 9

Count your blessings.  The problem still exists on Dropbox for iPad.  I also realized another bad side affect of the problem- if I download a file to Dropbox on my iPad so that it is available offline, then when the next updated file version is uploaded to Dropbox, I have to redownload the new version.  This is what the process now looks like:

1. Current reading.xlsx is downloaded to iPad.

2. Update file in Numbers, export to Dropbox.

3. Log into Dropbox, and instead of prompting for an overwrite, Dropbox adds it as reading(1).xlsx.

4. I have to log into Dropbox app on iPad(again).

5. Delete reading.xlsx.

6. Rename reading(1).xlsx to reading.xlsx.

7. Download new reading.xlsx to iPad for offline availability.

mimicapri
Helpful | Level 5
yes, that’s exactly the problem we still all have… both on ipad and iphone up to date

JalapenoCheese
Helpful | Level 6

That’s weird because the image I posted was from my iPad. What the h*ll is going on, Dropbox?

clira
Collaborator | Level 9

My app version is 306.2 running on iOS 15.7

maybe there is a difference there.

clira
Collaborator | Level 9

Well, it looks like Dropbox version 310.0 has *finally* fixed this problem- for now.  Let's all hope they don't break it again.

mimicapri
Helpful | Level 5
yes, it works great now!! Thks for finally fixing it!!

aisb
Helpful | Level 7
I ended up moving to another service just because of how awful the support staff have been. Not once did a single person acknowledge that this was happening, let alone that it was a problem they were trying to fix. I was told over and over that I was just doing something wrong. If they’d just communicated that it was in the post, it would’ve been no big deal to wait. I also don’t believe they have iPads for testing, but again, they should just be honest about it and it would be fine. Lying and deflecting and making me do all this work for nothing is the worst possible approach. I don’t think they care, though.

c4l1n
Helpful | Level 6

On Android app 322.1.2 I still cannot overwrite files.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @c4l1n, happy Monday, I hope you're doing well! 

Could you share some additional info, in regards to the process you follow on your end, and if you see any specific errors, when you try to overwrite your files?

Do you face the exact same issue, as the OP mentioned? Have you followed any troubleshooting steps on your end? 

If you have any screenshots, feel free to attach them, in order for me to have visual too.

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?