cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about the file path change

Feedback about the file path change

koreanfriedchicken
Explorer | Level 3

I've read a couple threads on here, and I've seen the response about how "each team member will have a personal folder by default, which contains their own personal files/folders, as well as files that have been shared with them."

The next time another idea or suggest comes through that involves changing a folder path - take it back to the drawing board.  I could think of at least two other ways that 'personal folders' could have been implemented while maintaining the existing structure - and that was only in the past day since this fiasco started.

The change has disrupted business.  Let me give you some data points to include for future test cases to use.

1) Quick Access broke.  Easy enough fix.. unpin and re-pin after successfully syncing up.

2) Excel links that were direct paths broke - literally have to go through each excel file and update links manually.  I have a PowerShell script that does this.. but anyone without that script will have to manually update the links.

3) Out of 25 users, only 2 had a successful transition with the folder rename via their Dropbox Update.  About 10 involved shutting down Dropbox because it was either stuck on database upgrade or starting.  Had to restart the computer, and then allow Dropbox to run to get it to successfully transition.  Also - when this happened, it didn't put it back where the folder was originally but ended up defaulting to the User's folder in Windows.  The remaining workstations involved deleting Dropbox altogether and reinstalling manually.  Any work that was done during the day was completely wiped.

My client is furious and rightly so.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @koreanfriedchicken, thanks for messaging the Community.

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. 

We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services for the future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @koreanfriedchicken, thanks for messaging the Community.

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. 

We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services for the future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TNN
New member | Level 2

Similar to something already called out in October here, my team had the local machine dropbox directory under a path like this: 

C:\Users\[common org name]\Dropbox\[org file name]

It appears the update is forcing my team to now have a different file path

C:\Users\[common org name]\Dropbox\[specific user name]\[org file name]

My team uses links between powerpoint and excel. Under the old model, any user could refresh a link because we had a common file path. Under the new model, the links will not work between users because dropbox is forcing a specific username into the file path.

This is breaking our processes. Any workaround that someone knows about? From my perspective, our org may have to stop using dropbox and find an alternative solution if we cannot come up with a fix.

TNN
New member | Level 2

Linking an issue I created here that extends the problems in #2 that you called out above. Hoping to get some traction on this as it is breaking our processes.

guratron
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

Every time dropbox changes a folder name underneath me, I start looking for alternatives to Dropbox. Still haven't found one that I'm fully happy with, but if you want to keep me as a customer, please let me choose my folder names myself, and never change them underneath me.

I don't want a space in my dropbox folder name at all, but it seems I can't change that

Cheers,

Gustav

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

guratron New member | Level 2
    TNN New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?