cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files open very slow

Files open very slow

Platinumaa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

recently i have had issues with dropbox (db) opening files extemely slow. i figured it was my computer so i bought/installed a new 1tb solid state drive, reformatted, re-installed everything.. and it still opened slow, like 7-10 seconds per file (yes, can drive a man nuts). i decided to do a little troubleshooting and copied a file to my desktop to see if it still opened slow and BOOM.. flew open. so it looks like its dropbox that is having the issue. my dropbox folder is located on my c:. we live in the woods and have satellite for internet (not sure if that matters). windows 10, and brand new dell precision work station. windows defender is disabled (read that was an issue also). the files i mostly use are "autocad" files (.dwg)

thanks for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me so swiftly @Platinumaa.

Fixing permissions won't change anything to the permissions the app was granted upon installing; the fix within the app's preferences I mentioned above is fixing the different permissions the files within your Dropbox folder have.

Quoting from the relevant resource, this is how to install the Dropbox desktop app with admin privileges:

1. If you already have Dropbox installed, uninstall the application.
  2. Download the Dropbox application.
  3. Open the installer.
    • Do not right-click, and do not command-click Run as an Administrator
  4. Follow the instructions in the install wizard.
    • If you’re asked for an administrative username and password, enter them or contact your administrator to sign in.
    • If you’re not asked for an administrative username and password, you’re already an admin on your computer.
  5. Complete the installation and sign in to Dropbox.

And, yes, the 'Fix Permissions' and/or the 'Fix Hardlinks' buttons will force your files to sync anew when applied. 

In any case, please take as much time as you need and report back with your findings. 

Until we speak again, take care! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Platinumaa; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

Can you please let me know if you have installed the desktop app with admin privileges on the affected computer?

If this is not too much to ask, could you follow the steps below and let me know if they improve matters at all?

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'Space' key

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1→5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. 

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know the results.

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Platinumaa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thanks for the reply, i tried the "hard links" method and it didnt work. i did check and it seems dropbox was not insalled with admin priveleges. i assume the "fix permissions" is the method to change that to admin permissions level? also, this will re-load the entire dropbox index back onto this computer correct?

since i live in the woods and use satellite, my bandwidth amount is limited. i will have to do that method closer to the end of my plan date which is this friday. i will reply here probably sunday with the results

thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me so swiftly @Platinumaa.

Fixing permissions won't change anything to the permissions the app was granted upon installing; the fix within the app's preferences I mentioned above is fixing the different permissions the files within your Dropbox folder have.

Quoting from the relevant resource, this is how to install the Dropbox desktop app with admin privileges:

1. If you already have Dropbox installed, uninstall the application.
  2. Download the Dropbox application.
  3. Open the installer.
    • Do not right-click, and do not command-click Run as an Administrator
  4. Follow the instructions in the install wizard.
    • If you’re asked for an administrative username and password, enter them or contact your administrator to sign in.
    • If you’re not asked for an administrative username and password, you’re already an admin on your computer.
  5. Complete the installation and sign in to Dropbox.

And, yes, the 'Fix Permissions' and/or the 'Fix Hardlinks' buttons will force your files to sync anew when applied. 

In any case, please take as much time as you need and report back with your findings. 

Until we speak again, take care! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Platinumaa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Mr walter, i uninstralled DB last night, re-installed as admin, it took all night to download all data. Woke up this morning, opened an autocad file from a dropbox folder path.. it flew open! your solution worked. thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear it's sorted now @Platinumaa; thanks for keeping me in the loop too!

Have a lovely weekend ahead and see you around the Community :sunglasses:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

klasu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Unfortunately your re-install-guide didn't work on my computer (Win 10). I did NOT install it as administrator but installed it in the standard way. In fact it was the same way I did it at the first time. Opening a folder still takes at least 30 sec up to a minute. There is no difference if DP is running or not, if I'm connected to the web or not.

In the dropbox-desktop-app the folders opens much quicker and in the same speed as the other folders outside DP on my computer.

Any idea what do do?

best, klasu

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @klasu; welcome to our Community and thanks for joining our discussion.

As this is a very device specific matter, I'd suggest contacting our support team directly so we can assist further with account and device specific information.

Let me know the ticket's ID here if you like so I can get on it asap. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

klasu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank your for your answer. I tried to get in contact with the support but am stuck in the loop of links on the page. By clicking "Contact Support" I get to a list of answers or I can contact a bot or the community. The bot doesn't start or open. And isn't this text that I'm writing anyway going to the community? Hmmm.

Any help?

best, klasu

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @klasu.

As I wanted to have a better look into this, I just used the email address that's connected to your profile here to create a support ticket for you.

Whenever you get the chance, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alana818 New member | Level 2
    Platinumaa Helpful | Level 5
    Waverly New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?