cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finder folder modified dates not being updated to match files inside

Finder folder modified dates not being updated to match files inside

daysofspeed
Helpful | Level 5

As the subject says - I need my folder modified dates to make sense within Finder. If the files within change I want to sort by date modified to find the most recently amended work inside the listed folders. 

Having them all with the same date even if the files within have been modified is absolute junk and means I have to open them to find the most recently modified files.

How do I stop/fix this?

Using sync to keep folders and files in the cloud unless I open them. Mac OSX Ventura 13.4 22F66 / Dropbox v176.3.5042

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @daysofspeed, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

Are you only seeing this when updating files in the Dropbox folder or other folders on your computer as well?

If you close the Dropbox app and edit your files in the Dropbox folder, does the issue persist?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cellomellowman
Helpful | Level 6
(Dropbox app on Android Galaxy Note 😎
I, too, wish folders could sort by the latest (or earliest) modified date of the files within the folders. I have about 100 folders and I want to find out in which folder I last left off working in. So I choose 'modified' in the folder listing, but the list remains sorted alphabetically.

daysofspeed
Helpful | Level 5

I don't touch Dropbox online - I use Dropbox to hold the files - created or amended on my Mac. When I go to a folder in Finder the dates often all match regardless of when I have modified the files.

I want to go in and find the last file I used/made/amended.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @daysofspeed, could you clarify exactly what is wrong with the date modified field in Finder? 

Are you saying that the date doesn't change when you edit a file, or that all files are updated to have the same date?

Any other info or screenshots (while hiding personal names and info) would be helpful.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    daysofspeed Helpful | Level 5
    cellomellowman Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?