cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Full Text Search Not Working on Business Advanced (Trial)

Full Text Search Not Working on Business Advanced (Trial)

BBarkalow
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We're evaluating the Business version, and are unable to search across files for text content.  Unless the file was created using the mobile scan app (Android), text within the files is not being returned in any search results.  We've tried Word docx files, PDF image files, and PDF files that have been OCR'd using another party's tool.

We've tried searching through the web app using various browsers, as well as through the Android app, but the only search hit is the PDF created with the Android scanning tool.  All documents are in English.

Is there an option that needs to be enabled?  Is this not supported for trials?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @BBarkalow,

Full text search is available on business advanced plans (including trials), but needs to be enabled via your admin console. You can read more here: https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/product/search-images-text-ocr

If this still isn't working for you or you need further assistance, reply to this message and I can see what else we can do for you.

Best,

Ben

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @BBarkalow, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try using incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BBarkalow
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I tried that for Firefox and Edge, but no change in behavior.  Both browsers are on current release levels.

Is there an incognito mode for the Android app?  That doesn't return searches with matching file contents either.

BBarkalow
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi - any updates on this, or is it simply not supported?  It's an essential requirement for my company, so if it doesn't work - or there isn't a statement for when it will - it's a deal-breaker and we'll spend more with a competitor's product.

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @BBarkalow,

Full text search is available on business advanced plans (including trials), but needs to be enabled via your admin console. You can read more here: https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/product/search-images-text-ocr

If this still isn't working for you or you need further assistance, reply to this message and I can see what else we can do for you.

Best,

Ben

BBarkalow
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you @BenDBX !  That worked.

I'm surprised that it's a beta feature (still - the referenced article is from 2020 after all), but as long as it works I'm happy.

Need more support?