cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I numerically sort my files?

How can I numerically sort my files?

jazzbby
New member | Level 2

I wanted to upload the files in my folder in a particular order. When I found that I had not uploaded a file in the proper order, I initially attempted to move it by dragging it to the place I wanted it. But that didn't work. I tried selecting a file, but that didn't do anything. I found a move file command, but that only moves a file to another folder, not within a folder. Eventually, I found that I could establish a naming convention and sort files by numerical order. But when I put the word "Number" in the keyword box, that's what I got preceding the title of each file, not a number. When I used the number 1, each file was prefaced with the number 1. I then tried 123 and, you guessed it, each file had 123 in front of it. How do I get it to sort by a numerical order I set? And is it possible to insert a document into the order by adding the number myself and re-sort? 

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting your question here, @jazzbby!

In this case, what you’ll need to do is to manually add the number of your choice to the name of the file/folder (i.e. 1. filename, 2. filename etc). By doing this, Dropbox will automatically organize your files/folders numerically. 

However, if you wish to add more files later on among the rest, you’ll need to update the numbers/names of the rest of your content, as well. 

If I’ve misunderstood something though, let me know.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jazzbby
New member | Level 2

Hi, Nancy:

I've tried adding numbers to my files manually. I can do that by renaming the files. But the files are not in the order I want, and I don't know how to get Dropbox to sort them. I had to revise the initial memo in my file that should be the first document, but now it's at the bottom of the folder. So, I tried putting a number 1 on it and adding subsequent numbers to other files in the order I wanted. I only did five as a sample. Right now, 1 is at the bottom. Then, even though I numbered them in order, Dropbox shifted them around, so now they are in the order of 4, 5, and 3. Is there a way to add numbers to out of order files and get Dropbox to sort them for me? I only have a free account. Thanks for your help!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

What kind of sorting have you chosen for the files, @jazzbby?

Is it possible to send us a screenshot? You can hide the file names of course, if you want.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    jazzbby New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?