cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how to move photos into folders

How to move photos into folders?

Steve W.33
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello How do I move photos from my camera upload folder to another folder?

30 Replies 30

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Vivian, DB does not use the same 'model' as your operating system uses. For examples, the 'timeline' and 'albums' are Not folders but Views. Using the web site is a convenience, not the way you normally use your files.

Amos T.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This does not make sense, what's the purpose of having photo taken from device and sync and show in photo and timeline in Dropbox in the cloud and you can't simply drag and drop and move it into files or folder.

And when I tried to sync the Dropbox in Windows to my Dropbox account in the cloud, ended up it is taking up disk space on my laptop.  I thought the purpose of this is to act as a backup for my laptop in case when it fail.   

Gj2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hello. I'm asking the same question that Sue is. Looks like Sue may have figured it out. I also want to move photos- individual ones or groups of them, into a shared folder. How can I do this? I can see how to put them into albums-but then how is the album put into a shared folder?
Ex., if I click on the 'photos/timeline', I Can then choose one or a bunch of photos- they are all check marked in blue. How then do I place these photos into a specific 'file' that has been created and shared? My 'files' all contain folders that are shared for my purpose. I need the photos to be placed into these shared folders. Thanks!

Anthony C.27
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have to agree with Vvian and others ... why in heavens name has Dropbox become so user-unfriendly! Moving a file in the web app from one folder to another used to be a piece of cake before they introduced this "Photo timeline "model. Everything to do with photos has now become a pain ... or sometimes simply impossible!  I joined Dropbox right at the outset precisely because it was so easy to do things online ... but perhaps it is time  to move on ...

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Personally Anthony I find it so so so much easier to just pretend the Photos Timeline doesnt exist - as that is about as useful as it is!

Once you remember that the Timeline is just a screengrab of all your images and not much else its easier to process.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

suemc
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am also trying to move photos from camera upload onto various folders. I am using a surfacepro tablet, no mouse. there is no option in the dropbox icons when I select photos to cut or paste. can you or anyone else advise ? why is this so hard!!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey suemc, welcome to the Dropbox Forum, I’d happily send over some tips below & I hope that you make the most out of your Surface tablet! 

As this device doesn’t have a mouse, you’ll just have to long-press on your previously-selected files, so as to get the right-click options (which include Cut/ Copy/ Share &c.). 

Hopefully this answers your device-specific question, though I’m always here in case you need further assistance, just let me know & I’ll make sure to follow-up with you as closely as possible! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

suemc
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Sorry to say that does not work at all. Or it only works if the images are already in the "files" section. These photos I want to move to folders are from a camera upload and are in the photos section. In the drop box app if I long press an image in the photos section, I get the choices to highlight, then delete, save to device or share.

Can you advise? Do you have access to a surface pro to perhaps send a screen shot? Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@suemc wrote:
... it only works if the images are already in the "files" section. These photos I want to move to folders are from a camera upload and are in the photos section.

The Photos section isn't a separate area where photos are stored. Photos just shows you ALL of the photos that are in your account, from all folders. You can't move things out of Photos because it's just a way to view all of the photos in your account. Instead, you need to find the photos in the Files section and move them to the folders that you want them in. Any photos that are automatically uploaded to your account would usually be found in the Camera Uploads folder. It's from this folder (or others) that you would move them.

This is the same as using the Photos page on the Dropbox website, though the website also includes an option to "show in folder" so you can easily move from a photo on the Photos page to the folder that it resides in.

suemc
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
OMG, I think that is a breakthrough. Thank you!
Need more support?