cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to remove desktop from dropbox

How to remove desktop from dropbox

ChantDad
New member | Level 2

Somehow, all links on my laptop Desktop were copied to a Dropbox folder called "Desktop"; if I did it, it was accidental :slight_smile:

I don't know why I need that and when I delete the Desktop folder in Dropbox, all the icons disappear from the computer desktop. I assume some kind of sync issue.

What I am doing wrong? I only use Dropbox for sharing files so this is a new problem for me.

Thanks

21 Replies 21

smilelio
New member | Level 2

I'm sure this has been solved for you by now... but here it is, anyway.

1.  Open the Dropbox App

2.  In the very top left corner, there are 3 lines. Click "File" > "Preferences ..." 

3.  Select the 3rd icon in the top row that says "Backups"

4.  Under "This PC" there's a button for "Set up"

5.  Now you can sync/unsync the PC folders you don't want taking up space on your Dropbox.  

You'll be asked where you want to keep the files; make sure you select PC. 

adela doble
New member | Level 2

Can you help me how can I remove my desktop from dropbox?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining the topic @adela doble!

You can disable the computer backup by following the steps listed at the bottom of this article.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kristina_2020
New member | Level 2

FIXED - 

Messed with this for a few hours then finally discovered the fix

If you want to delete a PC- (desktop) folder from your Dropbox account file list, sign in to dropbox, > settings > security, then unlink the devices that are listed under: "These devices are linked to your personal Dropbox account."  The folder removes itself.

walidkel
New member | Level 2

For years I preferred dropbox to any other cloud service mostly becasue it is a stand alone service and user friendly with simple sync settings. but lately with these new features like syncing desktop I am changing my mind. it is not so straight forward to unsync it. it is frustrating. 

JDN1
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same problem. Dropbox has uploaded my Desktop folder without my authorization, and I can't find a way to remove it from Dropbox without losing my desktop.

mbb1
New member | Level 2

Having the same problem here.  Tonight DropBox added my entire Desktop on a new laptop I am setting up.   It moved all shortcuts, folders and files on my desktop to it's own folder.  I have tried unlinking it with no effect.  If I delete any of the files from the DropBox folder they dissapear completely from my computer.  I also tried moving the files back to the desktop but it won't allow that since it is the same destination. 

I have been a DropBox user for many years with no real issues.  I hope this gets figured out soon.

Thanks

mbb1
New member | Level 2

I believe that I may have found at least a work around for this.  It appears to have worked. 

It's pretty simple.  Go to the DropBox folder and just copy the Desktop folder and all it's contents to another folder you set up on the same drive.  It will not allow you to copy it back to the desktop since it will say it is copying back to the same location or something to that effect.

After I copied all the contents elsewhere I was able to copy the entire file and contents of the desktop back directly to the desktop and it repopulated everything as far as I can tell.    I'm not sure why this happened.  I am just getting used to a very finicky touchpad and it's possible that I dragged and dropped the desktop to the DropBox folder inadvertantly.  However, there was no pop up warnings etc.  It just started copying thousands of files over  until my DropBox was nearly full and had no way to abort the process.     Hope this works for others!

mbb1
New member | Level 2

OK,  Ignore the workaround mentioned above.  It works for some programs but I had a number of file path issues.   The desktop folder keeps showing up in the DropBox folder again anyway even after deleting it.  I give up for now and just uninstalled DropBox from this laptop until the problem gets fixed.   😞

JDN1
Helpful | Level 5

The only thing that worked for me was to move the Desktop folder from Dropbox into OneDrive. 

Once it's in OneDrive you can choose whether or not it synchs to the cloud, and manipulate the folder from there.

This new feature of Dropbox is a real pain, and simply unchecking Desktop in the Backup settings does not solve the problem.

Need more support?