cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't want to sync my Desktop folder. Any ideas?

I don't want to sync my Desktop folder. Any ideas?

TheDubs
Helpful | Level 6

I changed my password. Logged out of the other devices that access my dropbox and then logged in with the new password. In doing so I notice there is now a desktop folder. I do not want drop box to share my desktop files. So I deleted the folder.

wrong.

I lost all my images that were left on the desk top.

I restored all the deleted files from today. But I still lost a lot of images. Im not convinced they will return.

How can I unsync my desktop folder or stop dropbox accessing it.

12 Replies 12

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @Pegah!

Were you able to follow the steps to disable the backup of those folders with the steps in the article I linked above?

If so, can you try moving the contents of the Downloads, Desktop and Documents folders back to their original locations outside the Dropbox folder?

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mreher
New member | Level 2

I also made the mistake of allowing Dropbox to sync myMac, Documents, Desktop, and Downloads. I'm extremely frustrated, I thought it would give me a choice of folders, now every time I start up my pc it starts syncing hundreds of files that I do not want to exist on DropBox at all.  I believe DropBox is trying to get us to have to increase our accounts and prevent us from getting our files back to restore our MacProsl back to normal.  This document that keeps getting sent out tells you how to sync and backup. it does not explain or provide a way to back out of this new beta without losing information and breaking all kinds of links.  I'm afraid to do anything now with my macBookPro because DropBox has taken over and has control of my content.

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox released a beta feature for automatically backing up your computer folders. If you'd like to disable this, then please check out the steps towards the bottom of this article. You can also refer to the following thread to continue the discussion.

This topic is now locked as it did not originally discuss this new backup feature.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    mreher New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Pegah New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?