cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Missing Files

I joined a Dropbox Business team, and my files are missing from my personal account.

Ace_2920
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I have a dropbox account wayback 2015. I am still able to access it until recently my boss decided to try dropbox for our team. So since my personal account automatically opens whenever I signed in, I have to create another email address to link my business dropbox. Now, I tried to log in to my peronal dropbox account but to my surprise all my files are missing. I don't remember deleting any files at all. But now, I can't see any files. It is all missing. Please help.

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Ace_2920 

What does the personal account show at www.dropbox.com/events ?

Have you not accidentally moved the personal account files (even with a different email) to the business one?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ace_2920
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Mark,

Here are my answers to your questions.

What does the personal account show at www.dropbox.com/events ?--- Nothing in there.

Have you not accidentally moved the personal account files (even with a different email) to the business one?-- I don't remember doing it, the last time I remember is that I signed out from my personal account then logged in to my business account.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ace_2920, thanks for posting!

When you accepted the invitation to join the Dropbox Business team, were you signed in to your personal account?

And if so, do you remember choosing to keep your personal files separate from the team?

If that's the case, the process would prompt you to create a new Dropbox account for your personal files.

Can you check to see if that's where they went?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ace_2920
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Hannah,

I remember that I just logged out of my personal account and I have created a business email so my boss can link that email for business dropbox.

I signed in to dropbox using my business email. I don't remember creating a personal file separate from business.

Thank you,

Ace

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here, @Ace_2920.

Hmm, if it's a different account/email address, then your personal account shouldn't have been affected by you joining the team.

Is it possible that when you logged out of your personal account and then logged back in, that you logged in with a different email than what your personal account was using?

Can you check any email account you might have, to see if you can locate any Dropbox related emails, so that you know which addresses are associated with Dropbox accounts?

This might help clarify things.

Also, what do you see, when you login to the team account?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Ace_2920
Explorer | Level 3

Ace_2920_0-1676021543643edit.jpg

Hello Hannah,

Right, it should not affect my personal email.

But I honestly don't know what happened 😞

I have attached a screenshot of my dropbox account. My personal email is the one highlighted in red. The email below is my business email.

I just want to retrieve the files I have on my personal account.

Thank you,

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I understand your frustration, Ace, this is quite strange for sure.

Just out of curiosity, can you check your team account and see if you have any files in the folder with your name on it?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?