cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Excel files in Dropbox

Linking Excel files in Dropbox

Spud208
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

We just switched to Dropbox for Business.  We have several Excel files with formulas that link to other Excel files all saved in a shared folder.  With our local server the links would work for every user the same.  Now with using Dropbox, the link will work for one user and not for another user.  If the 2nd user changes the file path to make the link work for them, then it will no longer work for the first user.  How do we make it so all users in the shared file can open the Excel file and have the links update without having to change the file path for each user?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cmndrsn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

While I've never encountered this issue, this likely has to do with where your spreadsheet is trying to read the pathname from.
What I imagine is occurring is each computer has a different working directory and so the pathnames are pointing to the right file, but the wrong directory.
For example, you may be trying to read a filename called Doc.txt. Your computer may read a directory such as:
C:/Users/Bob/Dropbox/Doc.txt
Whereas your colleague's system may be trying to read it from:
C:/Users/John/Dropbox/Doc.txt

In other words, you will probably want to change the pathname to a relative one. Here's a webpage demonstrating how:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/903163/how-to-create-absolute-hyperlinks-and-relative-hyper...

Let me know if this helps!

Cam

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cmndrsn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

While I've never encountered this issue, this likely has to do with where your spreadsheet is trying to read the pathname from.
What I imagine is occurring is each computer has a different working directory and so the pathnames are pointing to the right file, but the wrong directory.
For example, you may be trying to read a filename called Doc.txt. Your computer may read a directory such as:
C:/Users/Bob/Dropbox/Doc.txt
Whereas your colleague's system may be trying to read it from:
C:/Users/John/Dropbox/Doc.txt

In other words, you will probably want to change the pathname to a relative one. Here's a webpage demonstrating how:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/903163/how-to-create-absolute-hyperlinks-and-relative-hyper...

Let me know if this helps!

Cam

Spud208
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for your help!

PratyushChowdhary
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Dropbox, same issue exists with MAC.

Need more support?
Who's talking