cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Member with edit access unable to edit

Member with edit access unable to edit

bscrane
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

A group of ten members has access to a dropbox folder. All of them "can edit." The newest member has not been able to make changes to any files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @bscrane!

Is it possible that they're opening the files in their web browser? If so, it might be that they're previewing the files in Dropbox and they'll need to open the file in the appropriate app to edit them as outlined here.

On their computer, they could be opening the files from their web browser or locally on their computer if they sync their files using the desktop app. It would be helpful to know which they're using to assist with this.

You could even send them this thread so they can join the discussion if it would be easier to troubleshoot directly.

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @bscrane, I'd be happy to help out with this!

Can you let me know a little more detail about the issue that this member is having trying to edit files?

If they're receiving an error, please send along a screenshot of this (excluding any personal info).

Also, please let me know where they're trying to edit the file from. For example, the website, through desktop app or the mobile app.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bscrane
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

She does not get an error message, is able to view the files in question, just cannot make changes,although she has "can edit" access. She has dropbox on her personal computer. 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @bscrane!

Is it possible that they're opening the files in their web browser? If so, it might be that they're previewing the files in Dropbox and they'll need to open the file in the appropriate app to edit them as outlined here.

On their computer, they could be opening the files from their web browser or locally on their computer if they sync their files using the desktop app. It would be helpful to know which they're using to assist with this.

You could even send them this thread so they can join the discussion if it would be easier to troubleshoot directly.

Let me know!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

bscrane
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It did have to do with how she was opening the file, and all is well now. Thanks for your help.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm happy to hear that @bscrane!

If there's anything else I can help with, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here. :grin:

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    bscrane Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?