cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dropbox is encrypted by virus can not restore original data

My dropbox is encrypted by virus can not restore original data

HGC2021
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all.

Today my dropbox is encrypted by virus, but but when i go to dropbox and choose to restore original data, the encryption virus immediately restores the file encrypted by virus. Please help me, thanks.

virus 1.JPGvirus 2.JPG

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

If you are a paid user you can restore via rewind: https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/rewind

If not you need to do each file individually I am afraid. https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-older-versions

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

HGC2021
Explorer | Level 3

I can't restore, because every time I restore any file, it will immediately be restored in encrypted form. You can see the photo to see it.

HGC2021_0-1677332700731.png

Mark
Super User II

You'll need to restore to a previous version beyond that - Dropbox can only restore what it has on its servers, however, so if the restored versions were already a virus you cannot go back beyond the restore window (30 days if free)

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

HGC2021
Explorer | Level 3

HGC2021_0-1677337304393.png

You can see on my picture. I has a verison on May 23, 2022. But when i restore this version. I has notification like the photo below.

HGC2021_0-1677336959310.png

This version restore is February 19, 2023. Not May 23, 2022

Mark
Super User II

You cannot restore to that version I'm afraid because it is too old to recover. You can only recover for 30 days as free user (i.e. up to about 25th Jan 2023). As a paid user at the time of the change / deletion you could restore 180 days (i.e. up to about 25th August). 

It is not possible to recover longer than that I'm afraid. Even upgrading will not do anything. 

HGC2021
Explorer | Level 3

But when i see on Version History, i can download.

HGC2021_0-1677416395600.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @HGC2021, sorry to hear about that, let me see what I can do to help! 

In order for us to have a closer look into this, can I send you an email, so we can privately investigate? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    HGC2021 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?