cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Naming conventions not working on camera uploads folder.

Naming conventions not working on camera uploads folder.

Gareth R.1
Explorer | Level 4

Hello

i am attempting to use multi file organize for my camera uploads folder. It is a large folder containing about 20,000 individual files. It is not synced to my local devices to save space. Or rather, on the local devices, the folder is marked offline only.

I am trying a very straightforward organize request, to organize by month YYYY-MM. I have tried about a dozen times from different browsers, both desktop and mobile. I get the message “creating folders” then “moving files”. Then it fails with a message “we weren’t able to organize your folder. Try again”. The folders in fact were not created. I’m attaching a screenshot.

i was able to turn on automation successfully, so new files are being sorted as they get uploaded. Therefore a folder 2023-02 was created. In addition I manually created 2021-12 and put a few files in there. But I cannot organize the vast majority that are already there. Thanks for any help.

GarethR1_0-1676279771038.png

16 Replies 16

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, Gareth!

We can only send an email to the address associated with your Community profile here. Is that okay?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Gareth R.1
Explorer | Level 4

Ok that works 
You can use [removed per the Dropbox Community Guidelines]
Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Gareth R.1, I just sent you an email, I'll see you there.

Cheers!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

paulinemk
New member | Level 2

Having the exact same issue here. Only happens in Camera Uploads (probably due to too many photos) and I have tried multiple browsers and nothing works. Did this ever get solved?

Gareth R.1
Explorer | Level 4

Not solved but there is a partial workaround. First turn on the automation for Camera Uploads so that new photos when added get sorted. Then make a temp folder somewhere else. Grab a chunk of the photos in Camera Uploads and move them to the temp folder. Then move them back. When they arrive back they will get sorted by the automation.

It kind of works but it is horribly slow and fails a lot. The moves will quit part way through and have to be repeated. It’s not a good solution.

Struktv
New member | Level 2

Yeah I've had this same issue. The automation just doesn't work in my camera Uploads folder so I had to do it manually and create year folders and move the files across myself on my machine through Windows Explorer.

In saying that, I have logged on to DropBox through a browser and not seeing some of the recent changes so now unsure if it worked at all or if it just takes time to sync. About 16,000 files in total. On the Task Manager it showed DropBox CPU is idling along at 30% and Memory was at 11.8gb ( I have 16gb in total) for a while but has settled down to 6gb now so maybe re-indexing the folders? 

Struktv
New member | Level 2

Just checked the DropBox icon on my PC and it says Indexing 28,000 files (more than I thought).

Concerning though as it says its uploading 2,700 files. It shouldn't be uploading anything as I just moved some files around. 

Lets see what happens. 

Need more support?