cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New named Dropbox structure

New named Dropbox structure

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

I am a user of DropBox Business, on Windows 10.

Last week, I suddenly realized that the shortcuts to some of my Dropbox folders were broken.

A quick look learned me that the structure had changed.

While I used to access my folder through:

C:/User/{username}/Dropbox (COMPANY NAME)/, I can now find them at:
C:/User/{username}/{COMPANY NAME} Dropbox/MyFirstName LASTNAME/

Now, both structures seem to remain while the first one is now a hidden shortcut (although I can't seem to see where it links to).

So that I don't really know where my files actually are.

Is this change documented anywhere?

Thanks

After a couple of days, I realized this happened to all of this Dropbox Business users across the company, Mac and Windows, and that it messes up with backup strategies.

I didn't find anything about this new structure in DropBox's changelog.

147 Replies 147

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @t4ngml, sorry to hear about this. 

Could you provide some additional information about the issue you're facing and a screenshot of any errors you might be getting or what's troubling you?

For more information on why this might have happened, you can have a look here.

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

Please find enclosed the double dropbox structure I explained earlier.

dropbox-folder-capture.png

I had a look at the links you provided. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense in our (company-wise) case, since we use DropBox Business for years now, and all the computers have faced this change at the same time. Thus, it can't be related to the computers setup.

Where this new structure comes from?

Thanks

coindrop
Explorer | Level 4

We are having the same issue and I don't understand why this is not a bigger 'headline'.
Before my local folder was called "Dropbox (companyname)" but now it has been automatically renamed to "companyname Dropbox"

And for some reason there's now a personal folder with my name placed in the root of the dropbox folder and when I open it, it contains folders (that were previously located in dropbox root) it makes no sense to us and we have not been making these changes our selves. Something has happened 3-4 days ago?

rb-eierschachteln
Helpful | Level 5

We have the exact same problem since yesterday.

All our folderpath, which link to a local dropbox file/folder, don't work anymore. Also Folders became visible but not accesible for users who don't have permissions.

RamonaTheresia
New member | Level 2

We face the same issue - the structure automatically updated somehow and now it doesn't work like before because of the personal suborders, so if somebody creats a link to any document in an folder where everybody has access to in another folder, the otherones are not able to open the link.

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Walter 

I'm obviously not the only one facing this issue.

There might be not much to worry about, but it's a surprizing change as a user, especially since it doesn't seem to be mentionned anywhere in your public changelog (unless there's another one accessible?).

Any info from you dev teams?

Thanks

rb-eierschachteln
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Walter ,

are there any updates related to this topic?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey all, I hope you're having a great Friday so far. 

At the moment, we're looking into this on our side, thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Trust to know, that we'll update this thread, once we have further info on this. Thank you for your patience! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

joimagg_work
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Dropbox,

I am wondering why Dropbox runs out a fundamental folder structure change without notifying it's customer beforehand?

What has changed?

- Main Dropbox folder name changed from "Dropbox (*Company*)" to "Dropbox *Company*"

- A "User folder" added as a "root directory", so an extra step into the Dropbox file directory.

- "Team folder" sits alongside "User folder" in the Dropbox "root directory"

Why Dropbox should notify before this kind of change?

- This change broke all links in all programs that use reference links. (InDesign, CAD programs).

- Our company now needs to go through all files using links and relink files with the added step of the user folder.

- This change broke the "Virtual drive letter" link in Windows.

- Creates confusion in the company, suddenly files dont work, links that were there, are not there...general confusion for a whole day.

I want to emphasize that I am not againts this change, it makes sense. But it is a change that Dropbox needed to notify beforehand. At the minimum write something about it in the "Whats new" page. I cannot find any information about this change.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rinconman Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mpraymond511 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    ckq_bally New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?