cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not enough space to access shared folder

Not enough space to access folder

raphaelp
Explorer | Level 4

I have a basic (free) account with 5gb limit.  Somehow, my main folder (unshared) was allowed to go beyond that to 7gb, and is now locked up with the message above. I have the obvious recourse of purchasing more space, and presumably, this will "unlock" my data.

It's very strange that storage capacity be allowed to go beyond the quoted limit, then I be unable to access the folder in order to either retrieve/clean up the data? This is clearly hijacking and forcing me to buy a plan from dropbox. I'm not even allowed to look into the directory and delete wha'ts not needed? It's just being held randsom. I'm not going to pay dropbox a cent for this kind of aggressive treatment. Either let me in to my folder to access what you made available in the first place per your end user aggreement, and allow me to remove data and meet quotas, or decide you don't ever want to have me as a paying customer.

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @raphaelp, thanks for reaching out to us. 

I understand that you can't access the shared folder, but could you clarify if you're able to find it in your Files tab, or if it's in your Share tab with the option to be added?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

raphaelp
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Lusll,

Thanks for responding. It's actually a shared folder that has been there for years. I'm not sure how it balloned past the allotted quota since it has been in disuse. I even remember removing some things out of it in order to keep it below quota. I haven't used drop box in a while, and now that I have a collaboration project with a team of artists and we are setting up a pipeline, it seems I'll be unable to use dropbox when they share something with me.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

If you only need to view the content, you can ask the owner to send you a shared link to it, instead. 

As for the folder, do you see it in your Share tab with the option to add it by any chance? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

raphaelp
Explorer | Level 4

I only have the option to remove it. Which I did. I can't tell whether there are things I needed access to, but at this point it no longer matters. Thanks for explaining how this works.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

No worries, @raphaelp. That's what we're here for after all. 

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Becca5
New member | Level 2

Hello,

Someone has sent me an email with access to a Dropbox file.

When I open it and launch Dropbox it say "not enough space to access the folder" and asks me to upgrade.

However the person who sent it to me says that they haven't upgraded but use "smartsync and select online only".

Please can someone advise how I do this as I can't seem to work it out!

Thank you

Rebecca

Mark
Super User II

The message is from Dropbox not the computer....

So, that person has a larger quota than you - hence they can store it. You either need to get more space at www.dropbox.com/gs or www.dropbox.com/plans. Shared folders use the quotas for all.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Becca5
New member | Level 2

Thanks Mark

chascoadmin
New member | Level 2

I have been blocked from accessing my personal folders because of this which basically keeps me from cleaning them up. Horrible policy holding my data for ransom.

Need more support?