cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not possible to free up hard drive space from past corporate account

Not possible to free up hard drive space from past corporate account

Harliu
Explorer | Level 3

I belonged to a corporate account a while ago. Not anymore. 

I can see those files from the account, just names, but I can not see into the files. Not  a problem, not interested. 

But those files take still a lot of space on the hard drive. When I delete the file names I can see, I will not see them anymore, but the space is not released. And they are not in deleted files (empty). The names are gone, but the space is not.  

I still want to delete those files (I have not touched the larger part of those corporate files yet). How can I delete them so I could also free up the space what is used by them. 

Thank you!!

14 Replies 14

Harliu
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I added two photos here before and after I deleted one 58MB Catalog both from computer and then from Thrashbox.

The first picture will show that the space used is 233 941 MB. And free space available is 15 074 MB. 

The second picture will shot that used space has grown to 234 332 (additional 293MB) and free space available is 14684 MB (390 MB less). 

And I have to remember I checked the size of the catalog - it was 58MB. Of course I can not do that again, it is deleted. So as a result of deleting both the space on desk is larger and available space is also smaller. 

To remember  - ca 20MB of space is used by the private dropbox as the pictures made are saved there.

And when I looked, how much space is now available - ca 25 minutes later. It is just 13,1 GB (14085). Business dropbox document dates have not been changed - so I think nobody added additional files (especially as I should not see them - although some of them are my own creation as I worked there). This here is final delet. 

I am puzzled. 

Before deletingBefore deletingSome minutes afterSome minutes after20 minutes after20 minutes after

Regards,

Harli

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Harliu, thanks for the screenshots and the additional info.

Can you follow Nancy's steps and go to the "account" tab in your Dropbox preferences?

Do you only see your personal account linked there or the Business one as well?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Harliu
Explorer | Level 3

>> Otherwise, I'd like you to go to your Dropbox app's preferences > Account tab, and let me know if only your personal account is syncing at the moment. 

There is only one syncing user - from the private account. There is nowhere the past business account available and not seen. Just the catalogs I can see through the Quick Access Toolbar.

May be it could be related to the second e-mail address I did use for corporate account. I tried to log in to the dropbox app using that another mail but it seems it was not connected through that. Or may be the e-mail address I use currently for private account was also used for the corporate account. I do not know how to check that. 

Free space is down to 13032 MB. 

Regards,

Harli

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Harliu, it might sound trivial, but are you certain that it's the old Dropbox content taking up the hard drive space? 

If you right click on the old Dropbox folder, and check its properties, what do you see in regards to space? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Harliu
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I  can see that the corporate Dropbox space is smaller (deleting also it from the Trashbox). But the total disk space has not changed (tested with the next 3GB). It still seems like I just delete it from the Dropbox and it still keeps the files somewhere on my disk, but now I do not even have the seeing access to them. 

In conclusion regarding the thread there seems not to be an answer which is readily available. Seems like I will delete them whatever happens.

Thank yoy for your time, Megan, Hannah, Jay, Nancy!

Harli

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Harliu Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?