cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: photos

Photos uploading sideways

LiftingUnicorn
Helpful | Level 5

Portrait photos have today started uploading sideways. Has never done this before and was not like this yesterday. Today photos are sideways. Are these still a back up of original photo?

48 Replies 48

Surge92
Explorer | Level 4
I'm having the same issue. My vertical photos have always uploaded upright for years, but I noticed they are now rotated sideways on the previews. The most recent vertical photos I uploaded last night are also rotated horizontally. Is there a reason this is happening? I upload through the website, by the way, via a linked/synced folder.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Surge92, thanks for nudging us on this thread and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

Out of curiosity, you mention that you're uploading via a "linked/synced folder". Are you referring to a shared folder by any chance? 

Also, if you download the photos to your device, do they preview horizontally or normally? 

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Job_Super
New member | Level 2

I have experienced the same thing.  All my photos in different folders were fine until a few days ago.  Now they are all upside down.  All upload from my I-phone.

herrsolera
New member | Level 2

This is happening to me as well. The issue is with mobile uploading on the app. Photos and videos used to appear in the proper orientation, photos and videos. However, something happened over the weekend, where vertical pictures are sideways and horizontal images taken with the volume on/off buttons on top (like a "typical" camera) are upside down.

I'm guessing Dropbox ran an update on the code that reads the photo metadata differently, but now it's messing up almost literally every single photo upload. Since neither the Dropbox app nor the browser version allow you to rotate pictures, this almost breaks the service for me.

agpwpnt
Explorer | Level 4

@Lusilyou seem to be asking many people the same questions over and over.  Clearly the photo uploading sideways is a major issue affecting dozens of people.  What is the fix and why is it doing this?  the issue happens with all photos taken on any device, camera, iphone, ipad, android phone, etc since Friday or Saturday.  It is an issue on dropboxes end and not the user.  I have been following the numerous threads started on this issue and everyone has the same problem regardless of where their photos were uploaded from.

StageScience
New member | Level 2

Uploaded with PHONE APP using CAMERA upload.

Images show as rotated on BOTH the app and the desktop when you take a look after the fact.

Please resolve ASAP.

I KNOW that this is not a unique situation to me... I've seen MANY people ranting about this issue.

Surge92
Explorer | Level 4
@Lusil
That's the other problem I've had for the past two weeks. When I downloaded high-res photos from my Dropbox to my phone (Note 9) in the past, they would automatically appear in my downloads album in my gallery. Now, although they technically download, they don't appear in my gallery anymore. Instead, I have to manually copy them from the download directory, paste them to an album in my gallery, and then move them to my downloads album (where I get a prompt telling me the files are already in the album, even though I can't see them). This problem coincided with my phone updating to Android 10 a couple weeks ago. Initially, I blamed the update, but now I don't know. To answer your question, though, my vertical photos download upright/normally. It's the previews on Dropbox that are sideways now, all of a sudden. And by synced folder, I'm referring to the folder in my computer that's connected to my Dropbox profile. I transfer the photos from my SD card to that folder and then they upload to my Dropbox via sync.

Mood
Explorer | Level 3

I am experiencing this same issue. I have used Dropbox to upload photos for 10 years. I always upload through the desktop app. The rotation problem seems to be in the iphone mobile app only (as images are normal, i.e., not rotated on desktop and the web). Also, the image rotation happens only in portrait mode photos. Not landscape

Please assist

Mood
Explorer | Level 3

These are .jpeg images that I upload directly from my DSLR camera to my desktop, and then via my desktop onto the Dropbox desktop app. As I mentioned, the photos display normally (i.e., not rotated) on the desktop app itself. It's only when I view them on the Dropbox mobile app (on my iphone) that they are displayed rotated.

And again, this is only for images in portrait mode (not landscape). I have noticed this problem for about a week. It's never before happened in the ~10 years I have been using Dropbox for photo uploads.

Please assist!

Jfineman1
New member | Level 2
I am having the same issue. Never had this issue before now.
Need more support?