cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read only on desktop App

Read only on desktop App

wiaz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

HI. I have dropbox on 3 devices (iphone, PC at home, Laptop). Everything worked fine up to the time i bought new laptop. It has Windows 11 and i replaced my old one. With new laptop i can see all synced files. But i do not have permition to save new file to the dropbox folder, or edit and save (overwrite) any of the files. It works when i install dropbox as a new program and sign to the app. But after computer restart there is still the same problem. This never happened on any of my computer when i used dropbox in the past. I can not use also Save as... option and then delete the old file, because i just do not have permition to write anything to the dropbox folder or subfolders at all. Thanks for help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wiaz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for fast response. It looks like safety software that monitors traffic on work computer cause this problem. I am trying to deal with our IT administrator to solve the issue. If it will not work, i will get back here. Thanks. Ivan

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @wiaz, sorry to hear about this.

Could you please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your taskbar and how the files in your Dropbox folder look like?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

wiaz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for fast response. It looks like safety software that monitors traffic on work computer cause this problem. I am trying to deal with our IT administrator to solve the issue. If it will not work, i will get back here. Thanks. Ivan

Anton Haikov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello. I have the same problem whit my desktop app. Can you help me with it, please?
When I switch off Read-only setting on a Dropbox Folder Properties Tab that setting turn on independently. I can't figure out what I do wrong. Version of my desktop app on screenshot bellow.

AntonHaikov_0-1679993663187.pngAntonHaikov_1-1679993672562.png

AntonHaikov_2-1679993687188.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the nudge here, @Anton Haikov and sorry to see you're having this issue.

If you haven't already, can you please restart your computer, to see if that helps?

Also, if you quit the Dropbox app, are you seeing the same issue with the properties setting?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Anton Haikov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi! Thank you for your response. I did quit from the Dropbox app and turn off Read-only setting, as you suggested. But when I closed the Folder Properties Tab and opened it again this setting turn on. Maybe problem in windows settings?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Anton Haikov, interesting. 

What do you see when you click "How to fix" after the error you get? Also, is this particular folder located inside your Dropbox account?

Is your Dropbox folder also located on your E: drive? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Anton Haikov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When I click "How to fix" Chrome is open this link — https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing#permission.

I have a business account on Dropbox. And I think I logged in like administrator but not sure about it. However, I can go to the admin console from the app.

AntonHaikov_0-1680102101095.png

AntonHaikov_1-1680102426531.jpg

AntonHaikov_3-1680103089317.jpg

Folder with Read-only error is a root folder of whole business acсount and all folders inside. And this folder located in E:drive.

Thank you for your helping me! Hope we can solve this issue.)

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Anton Haikov, it might sound trivial, but have you tried signing out and then back into the app?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Anton Haikov Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?