cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove files from the vault

Remove files from the vault

stuckIntheValut
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I need to move files back to dropbox from the vault - the work around did not work.   

14 Replies 14

dandle-candle
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi i found a good solution:

1) Go to your dropbox account in an online browser (not in the app) and go into your vault, go into your vault, find the files/folders you want to move out of vault -if you do this & they were also local files on your PC), they will also automatically download back into the PC in the location you used prior to moving to vault.

2) - For single files/folders: Click on the 3 dots to the R.H. side of the file in question.
    - For multiple files select the boxes for each file/folder & look further over to the R.H side of the page where 3 dots are also located   
Select move, after you selected move - you have to look at top L.H. side where it says:
 Dropbox > Vault ,  then you click on the word dropbox (before the . Vault) - it will then show an area outside your dropbox vault , select Move - job is done - files will be moved out of your vault and into your main dropbox area - then they will automatically sync and download themselves back to your PC etc if they were there before

If you still have issues with it syncing,,,taking time - then go into Start type in services, find any other apps that you may use  to backup to or from your dropbox folder - like an backup service etc  and stop the service and try to restart the sync with dropbox again on your app

dandle-candle
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

if you still have issues with it syncing,,,taking time - then go into Start type in services, find any other apps that you may use  to backup to or from your dropbox folder - like an backup service etc  and stop the service and try to restart the sync with dropbox again on your app

DrAllie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Wow thank you,  dandle-candle, that worked & was so simple - I needed to return my whole client folder to Dropbox rather than Vault, and it was as easy as clicking the 3 dots with the folder checked. Can't think why I didn't see that before.

Ani18
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

how did you download from dropbox online - I cant access the vault file there either 😞

CommunityUser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was unable to access my Vault after I created it and added files to it on Oct. 21, 2021. I asked for help from Dropbox support. Their answer sent me off on a tangent to see if it was my security software blocking it.

Then later on, I received an email from support saying my issue was solved, which it wasn’t. I was not able to find anything wrong with my Norton security settings. It was not the reason for the malfunction as far as I can tell.

Finally today, I read instructions for how to delete your Vault. Go to the Dropbox website. Be logged in. At the upper right, you’ll see the icon containing your initials. Pull down from it & click Settings. In settings, I had 2 options, Delete Vault or Open. I clicked Open. Finally after that long with the Vault inaccessible I  got the popup prompt to enter the Vault PIN & was able to access my Vault.

Now I don’t trust the Vault & will not be using it to store any important files there exclusively. It was not accessible by scrolling down from All Files at the left which are the only instructions I was able to find on accessing it. Every time I went back to try to access it from there, the Vault folder was light colored and labeled No Access. If I scrolled down from the menu at the center of my screen, I had the same result. The only way I was able to access it and get my files back out of there was to choose Open from Settings as I’ve described.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CommunityUser New member | Level 2
    Ani18 Explorer | Level 3
    DrAllie Helpful | Level 5
    dandle-candle Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?