cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I remove--not delete--folders or files from a Dropbox vault?

Remove files from the vault

stuckIntheValut
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I need to move files back to dropbox from the vault - the work around did not work.   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stuckIntheValut
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had the same issue - downloaded the files from the Vault and uploaded them to regular Dropbox - it works, takes a few minutes but got my files back in working order.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @stuckIntheValut, thanks for reaching out. 

Out of curiosity, are you not able to move them out when navigating through the website? 

If you get any error messages, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal information) of them? 

Finally, could you clarify exactly the steps and workaround you mention you've tried already?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stuckIntheValut
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I contacted Dropbox chat and we tried several things, I finally thought of downloading the folder and then uploading it to Blackboard.  It is still in the Vault as of today but I will clean it out.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @stuckIntheValut

If anything else comes up, just give us another shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Barry9
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I put my folders into the vault, and now I realize that I want many of them back out again. Mostly I need them out so that I can work on them with apps. I regret jumping into Vault without being more careful. My working files are now in a place where I can't work on them. What am I missing?

How can I get my folders or files out of the Vault?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Barry9, I hope you're well today!

Can you let me know if you're able to simply move the files out of the Vault like you would move any other file in Dropbox? Eg. Click "..." and choose move for the selected file.

If you're getting any errors, please send me a screenshot of that (excluding any personal info).

Let me know and we'll go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

stuckIntheValut
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had the same issue - downloaded the files from the Vault and uploaded them to regular Dropbox - it works, takes a few minutes but got my files back in working order.

Barry9
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Daphne! Your suggestion worked. It took me a little time to figure out exactly how to do it, but I was able to fix my problem with your help. Sorry for the delay in thanking you. I got email about your post and--silly me--I tried to answer that. When I was younger, I was a bit faster on the draw.

All best

-Barry

Uska
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to move a file from my vault to work with it and then return it to vault, having no luck transferring it back into my normal dropbox😔

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Uska, thanks for joining us on this discussion. 

Could you let us know what happens when you click on the ellipsis (...) button that should appear next to the file you want to move out?

Do you get any error messages? 

Let us know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?