cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restored a previous version of a file and it won't open on my Mac unless I edit and save it first

Restored a previous version of a file and it won't open on my Mac unless I edit and save it first

Red_axe
Explorer | Level 3

I have a file on my Dropbox desktop. I go to Dropbox.com and restore a previous version of that file. When I attempt to open it from the menu bar on my Mac, where it shows the status of files that are synced up, it does not open. Instead it states this message, "Couldn't open file. Try again later." I have inserted a screenshot for clarity. This problem gets resolved when I open the file from where its located on my actual desktop and edit the file and save it, then the problem disappears. The problem does not get resolved, by just opening the file, you have to make some edit and save the file, then only can I open the file from the menu bar. This problem only occurs when I restore a previous version of a file from the web.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

 

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Red_axe - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you please let us  know your device's OS version and the version of the desktop app as shown when you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar? Also, where's your Dropbox folder located as per the sync tab in the app's preferences

Moreover, is this happening with only a specific file or is this affecting other files as well? Is the file online only or locally available to your computer when you try to preview it after restoring its previous version?

Have you by any chance tried another browser and/or refreshing your Finder after restoring the previous version?

Let us know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Red_axe
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter,
Thank you for your reply. I have answered your following questions.

1. Yes, the same error message happens with other word docs as well. As soon as I restore another version of a file from the web, it gives the same message from the menu bar app. All these files are available offline on my desktop app. I also tried with a word doc that is not "made available offline" by default but is visible on the desktop app, and when I do the restoration of a different version, it gives me the same message from the menu bar app. I have to make an edit and save, and then only can I access the file from the menu bar of my mac. For example, I did not edit a restored file for several hours, and when i tried to open it from the menu bar, it still gave the same message. Only when i opened, edited and saved that restored file from my desktop, then that message would disappear, and I can open from the menu bar.

2. I have Mac Sonoma V14.0. My dropbox is 186.4.6207.

3. Another work-around this error message I have found that beside making an edit and save is to do this. If a file is "available offline", I would make it "online-only" and then it can also open from the menu bar. And if is online only, and I made it "available offline" and then it can also open from the menu bar.

4. I have used the version history feature and never encountered this error before.

5. It's not a browser problem, the file's previous version is restored, and the restored version can be seen from the browser, and desktop app, when opened. The main problem is when its first restored, I can't open it from the menu bar unless I open, edit and save from the actual location on the desktip app or make the file "online-only" if it is available offline, or vice-versa and then I can open it from the menu bar.

6. I have closed the dropbox desktop app to see if it clears the error, it doesn't. I have done it multiple times.

7. Lastly, to reiterate, it does not matter if the file is available offline or online only but visible in my Dropbox desktop app, if I restored a previous version from the web, I cannot open it from the menu bar, unless 1) open, edit and save the file from my desktop or 2) make the file online-only if it was offline or vice-versa, and then I can open it from the menu bar.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Red_axe, thanks for the information. I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Red_axe
Explorer | Level 3

Yeah, I did that with customer service chat. They said they will look into and provide a response.

I am sure this is either a Mac Sonoma in relation to Dropbox desktop app problem or the server outage caused this. My best guess. Thank you for reaching out.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Red_axe Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?