cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somehow, a co-worker converted an xlsx file to FEDDE5F.tmp. How do I convert it back?

Somehow, a co-worker converted an xlsx file to FEDDE5F.tmp. How do I convert it back?

BLDVI
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Somehow, an xlsx file was converted to FEDDE5F.tmp.  I tried change the extension back to xlsx but that didn't work.  Can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@BLDVI wrote:

Somehow, an xlsx file was converted to FEDDE5F.tmp.  I tried change the extension back to xlsx but that didn't work.  Can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix?

You'll need to talk to your co-worker and ask what they did. Excel typically won't convert files like that, and it's not something that Dropbox can do either. Excel does use temp files, but not in that naming convention (they usually have the original name of the file).

If the original file is still in your Dropbox check its version history and you can probably roll it back to a previously working copy. If the file is gone, check your Deleted Files to see if you can restore it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@BLDVI wrote:

You'll need to talk to your co-worker and ask what they did. Excel typically won't convert files like that, and it's not something that Dropbox can do either. Excel does use temp files, but not in that naming convention (they usually have the original name of the file).

If the original file is still in your Dropbox check its version history and you can probably roll it back to a previously working copy. If the file is gone, check your Deleted Files to see if you can restore it.

BLDVI
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you - the version history worked!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BLDVI New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?