cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Syncing External Drive

Stop Syncing External Drive

AK-in-AL
Explorer | Level 3

I'm just using Dropbox Basic.  I recently worked on it, because I ran out of space.  One persistent problem is that it says it is syncing an external drive, and I can't seem to stop it from doing that on my desktop.  The drive is called Backup on Passport.  There was some command set up to sync it, but I don't want that drive downloaded to Dropbox, because there is way too much on it for my provided space.  I just want that to stop.  On the desktop it's always trying to do that, but on my devices it doesn't see the drive or try to do it.  I've removed the setup where it was doing that.  I also found a file on the Passport drive named dbxignore.* and deleted it, with no effect.  Don't know if that was from Dropbox or not.

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AK-in-AL, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As it sounds like you've enabled the external drive backup feature, you can disable it by following these steps on your account.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AK-in-AL
Explorer | Level 3

Tried everything, including uninstalling and reinstalling.  It still always, constantly says it’s syncing Backup on Passport.  Seems like if I stop that, it stops all syncing.  When I go to Manage Backups, I don’t see the choices you refer to, only an opportunity to set up folders on the computer to be backed up using Dropbox.  I uncheck all of them and say not now, and that’s all I see.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Can you try to disable it from this page, @AK-in-AL?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AK-in-AL
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah, thanks for showing me that page.  When I go there, Backup on Passport appears in the Deleted Backups area when I click to show them.  I've tried several times to Permanently Delete it, but it remains there, and the message comes up, "Failed to delete all of Backups on Passport."  I tried to recover it to see more of what it was intended to do, but the message comes up, "Failed to restore Backups on Passport."

AK-in-AL
Explorer | Level 3

Also, I did quit Dropbox before trying to delete it, because I thought ru Ning Dropbox still caused the app to have a grip on it somehow.  Next I will try turning off all my devices with Dropbox as well.

AK-in-AL
Explorer | Level 3

Turning off all devices didn't work.  Removing the drive in question didn't work.

AK-in-Alabama
New member | Level 2

OK, had to delete my Dropbox account and set it up from scratch.  That eliminated any backup activity.  Had to change my community user name, but that was the only slight inconvenience.  Everything else was very smooth and no more syncing a backup.  Glory, glory!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AK-in-Alabama New member | Level 2
    AK-in-AL Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?