cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage says it is full, but it is not

Storage says it is full, but it is not

jen2fe
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm new to these forums, so please bare with me.

I have an account with folders shared with me by my employer. We have plenty of storage, but when I log in I see a message every time saying I am almost out of storage. No one else on my team sees this when they log in. I did previously have a large folder with a lot of images in it, however I have completely deleted that as well as deleted it from the trash.

When I click on the plan page, here is what I see:

Personal Dropbox spaceUsing 1.93 GB of 2 GB
Regular files (0 bytes)
Shared files (1.93 GB)
Unused space (74.18 MB)

I would love to speak with someone at DropBox directly, but it does not look like that is an option.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance!

55 Replies 55

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @SJKWAK, let's get into this!

Do you get the error, or is it your member that gets one? Do you share a folder with her? 

Keep in mind, that even though your Dropbox account might be having enough space, when you share a folder with someone they would also need to have adequate space on their account. 

A Shared folder takes up space on both the recipient and the person that shared it. 

Keep me updated! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dhicksonjr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It says my storage is full. However, I have only about 500MB of small files remaining in my DropBox. Where are all the other "hidden" files? How do I remove them? I have moved all of my documents out of DropBox and I'm between projects and customer folders have all been cleaned out as well.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Are you using Dropbox backup? 

www.dropbox.com/backups ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dhicksonjr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

No.

Seems like files are hidden. I backup a website. However, I've gone in to my DropBox folder and pulled them to the desktop. I have gone through most of my folders and haven't seen anything more than a few hundred megabytes. DropBox is reporting 10GB used. Not sure how to clean out the misc. other stuff. "hidden"

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

There wont be hidden files except the backups page.

Everything that is sync'd to your account shows at www.dropbox.com/home - there is no way to 'hide' things from the web page. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dhicksonjr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

If you pull them out and put them on the desktop are they still "linked" and counted in the storage space? Even though they are out of the DropBox folder?

dhkaplanoh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having the exact same problem and have been looking for help on this forum for a couple of days now, but to no avail.  All of my files are removed from dropbox.  There were no backup files visible.  Just now I added a small backup to desktop in the hopes that might do something, but that is just a few kg of data. I still see nothing in backup, and the program says all of the space is taken up with non-shared files.  What is wrong?  It seems like a general dropbox glitch since a lot of people on this forum are experiencing the exact same thing.  I have posted twice but my queries have gone nowhere.

Dropbox was reliable for years.  Now I have to tell everybody that I can no longer use it with them.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dhkaplanoh & @dhicksonjr, how are you today?

Can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into it?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dhkaplanoh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, please send me an email.  I would love to get this resolved.

dhicksonjr
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ok.

That would be fine.

Dwayne

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Chooch New member | Level 2
    helpmerhonda New member | Level 2