cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Version history doesn't show any updates.

My Version history doesn't show any updates.

hoangtm
Explorer | Level 4

I have problem with my file and lost data

Exp : Note_acc.xlsx file , i'm sure edited 8 July, 2023 but when i open file but show data changed

I don't restore any version.

Modified : 24 Aug, 2021

History : 8 July, 2023

Pls help me 😞

dropbox.jpg

9 Replies 9

sarasvanberg
Explorer | Level 4

I have lost weeks of work, it seams like dropbox is not syncing due to space limitations but I havent been notified and when saving nothing looks strange. In this perticular case I have a huge document that I have been working on for weeks. But looking at the history it seams like it hasnt been updated since oktober the 3, which is totaly wrong. Is there anyway to fix this?? I am totally devastated as this is for a school work.

Mark
Super User II

If that is what it shows then for that file there was no update in August - either it didn't upload to Dropbox for whatever reason OR it was edited and saved in a different location. 

Have you tried searching your files for it?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II

Hi @sarasvanberg 

Dropbox will stop syncing when you are over space and will show an error on the software on your machine and also email you (if you have it set up). 

The good thing is if you bring the account under quota the files SHOULD reupload to Dropbox that have been missed as long as they are in your Dropbox folder still. If they are not then no, Dropbox cannot recover I'm afraid as they've never had a copy of your file - it doesn't even know it exists. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

hoangtm
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark,

I searched all folder, only 1 file

I just wonder why the current version and history version are contradictory

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@hoangtm, another way such thing to happen is when your current version is not the last one, but rather some previous. Have you restored (at some point) that file version on or after 8 July, 2023? 🧐

hoangtm
Explorer | Level 4

@Здравко,

I do not restore any versions Because I needed to check the file content

I realized the file was not archived, luckily I had a backup copy.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hoangtm, sorry to hear about that! 

Did you use the desktop app, in order to change and edit the file? When was the last time you checked online for the file updates?

Had that been the case, and if you were using the app, are you positive that it was syncing the changes online and that the app wasn't closed, or not syncing for some reason? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hoangtm
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan

I used the desktop application to edit files, and I changed to another computer.

I'm thinking it has something to do with Windows Bitlocker, I use on OneDrive also have the same error.

Maybe this is a note for users to be more careful when using Bitlocker.

Currently, I cannot recover files and learn from experience when using data encryption.

Thank you for everyone's feedback

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thank you so much for your input @hoangtm

If you need anything else, let us know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    hoangtm Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?