cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Badge shows a file was edited 420 years ago

The Badge shows a file was edited 420 years ago

martychaos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is anyone else having issues with Badge, randomly showing "<user> last edited this file 420 years ago".

it seems to affect both mac and windows users and appears to be random- in that we can't link it to a prticular folder/file or user.

Dropbox said they were investigating but have not come back with any explanation.

cheers

Marty

40 Replies 40

crthrockmorton
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

March 2023 and still not fixed.  What is the deal?  I find it hard to believe it's not a Dropbox issue.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @crthrockmorton, if you locate the file in Explorer/Finder, when was the last modification date according to the properties of the file?

Is this occurring for all your files, or only certain ones?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

crthrockmorton
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's not just the one file. One of the files was modified 3/15/23 at 7:58 am.  We have many other files that are shared files and are sometimes updated daily.  I can't say for sure if each one of them is affected or not.  I also don't always pay attention to the thing that pops up on the side that shows the modification.

Tee Dub
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

jay what a funny question, just delay, misdirect, and put the ball back in our court.

you know **bleep** well that the file wasnt edited in the 1600's.

we are all having this issue, our company has had it for 4 years

stop asking stupid questions, fix the issue of it showing the file was edited by a member 420 years ago and be done with this thread

own it jay, own the issue and resolve it

Tee Dub
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

it is completely a dropbox issue that we have complained about for over 4 years now

they misdirect, absolve themselves of responsibility, and put the ball back in your court to waste even more of your time, and finally get you to quit asking about it and just live with it

its the most ridiculous issue that could ever be, like computers were around in the 1600's i mean cmon

no other program, file, or application has this issue and they just keep going in circles with non answers and stupid questions

crthrockmorton
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I saw the long thread of messages over the last few years.  Thought I'd bring it up again to see if anything will be done but I'm not really expecting a fix.  It's funny how I don't have this issues with an of my other Windows applications.  

Tee Dub
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

all of our 7 users use windows machines and we see there edits happening 420 years ago jay, stop with the runaround and get the issue resolved. there are zero other applications, programs or files that have this issue. dropbox is completely alone in this and has the issue outstanding for the entire 4 plus years we have been a customer

Tee Dub
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

you know that it isnt his issue, its yours dropbox. we are all having this issue, so effin fix it

STSAdmin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

THIS TO DROPBOX!!

Again, that is ,albeit very valuable & valid, a work-around; it is is not a 'solution'!

The particular client of mine that is affected most by this clearly DropBox FUBAR  has 7 ppl working in many spreadsheets, power points & Autocad dwg's all day long often doing purchasing for the same large resort interior design projects.

Who is/was in what file, when is critical!

Having the full 'Dropbox Badge' functionality was instrumental in choosing Dropbox as the data storage solution for this client.

(I suppose some of them could yell across the office; "Hey Martha! you in the XYZ Resort project contract spreadsheet?" ...LOL)

All the staff travel to jobsites, etc so "local Access" on their travel laptops is, in my view, a data security liability. Having all the 700k plus of the company files on their local HDD's is not  'a desired outcome' for a workaround/solution 😉 Also End-Users should not/cannot be responsible for implementing/maintaining such a critical work-around to avoid data corruption & possible revenue loss; especially when 100's of thousands of dollars may ride on a single entry in a single Excel Cell.

So Dropbox, y'all ever gonna grow up/grow a pair and admit that ya just don't care enough about your Users/Customers to fix this?  OR maybe just fox it!?!

It's almost enough to make me cancel ALL my clients' dropbox accounts and replace them with onsite physical file servers !! (I know, I know.... that's soooo last millennium LOL)!!

Sincerely,

Taylor

SMWine
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Going into June 2023, and this still isn't fixed. We're a small nonprofit, so paying for DB is a HUGE luxury cost that we'd like to feel we're getting some value out of. Our staff of 10 is spread across the US in different time zones, so knowing who worked on which docs and when is a big part of doing our work. I don't need to know how long ago someone worked on it relative to today (e.g. Bob edited this 2 months ago), just give us a quick overview of the last edit (e.g. John edited 5/31/23 at 14:26:44). 

Dropbox, PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP.

Need more support?