cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about updates that we've made to the Search experience on the Android and iOS apps?Well, you can learn from Luke on the Mobile App team right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

The modified date on a folder gets changed

The modified date on a folder gets changed

fsa7219
Explorer | Level 3

Why is the modified date on a folder in dropbox off the computer (not the web) being changed, when all I do is click to open the folder look at the content and move to the next folder.  This is not allowing me to sort the folder by the "actual" date it was modifed (i.e., content was edited on some way).  This is not a shared folder.  No one else is accessing the folder.

Heip, please.

10 Replies 10

Re: The modified date on a folder gets changed

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @fsa7219, I hope you're having a good start to your week so far!

Can you just clarify for me, are you checking the folder from within the Dropbox app on your computer or directly from your File Explorer/Finder window?

If you're checking from your default file browser then the modified date would be something that is handled by your OS. 

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fsa7219
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Please see the screen capture below.  Hopefully this will help in answering your question.  I click on Dropbox to get to my items on dropbox.  When I click on dropbox, it opens up the content on the right hand side.  If I click on a folder and look at the content and then back out (without making any changes at all - simply looking at the content to see if I am in the correct folder), the modified date of the folder I clicked on changes, as I exit this foler and move on to another folder.  Which obviously negates my ability to sort by date.  This does not happen to my folders on my C and D drives (these drives are not external and I access them through File Explorer (you can see them listed in the screen capture).​
 ​
Thanks.  I appreciate the personal response.​
 ​
Faraz​
 ​
 ​Dropbox Screen Capture.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @fsa7219!

Does this also happen for any other folder on your computer outside of the Dropbox folder?

If you temporarily close the desktop app so it's no longer running, does opening a folder with the same method change the date? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox" from the menu.

Once you've tested out opening the folder while the app is closed, please make sure to launch the app again on your computer.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fsa7219
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

No this doesn't happen to other folders on my computer.  It only happens to the contents of the dropbox folder.

I did the work you suggested and I got the same results.

Daphne
Dropboxer

If you haven't already @fsa7219, would you mind checking out this article as the info there might be helpful?

However, if this issue persists when the desktop app is not running on your device, then it would suggest that this is occurring due to the OS instead.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

fsa7219
Explorer | Level 3

This hasn't solved the problem.  Sorry.  If i use dropbox from file explorer, the dates on my folders change.  If i use the dropbox app, the dates on my folders change.  In either case, i am making no edits to the content of the folders, i am only opening the folder to see what's inside the folder and then exiting the folder.  If the dates on my folder keep changing, simply for viewing the contents of the folder, i cannot use this product.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Can you let me know @fsa7219 if the column in your File Explorer is showing "Date" or "Date modified"? If it's showing "Date modified" please try changing it to "Date" by right clicking the column to bring up the options. 

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

fsa7219
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

It's date modified.  I added date created as another column and the date in that column doesn't change (yet).  This will work as a work around.  I will follow up again, if I continue to have this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Stay safe.

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @fsa7219!

If the issue does crop up again, perhaps I can suggest checking out some of the threads in the Microsoft forum such as this one. While it's an old one, perhaps you can try out the suggested steps to see if it helps.

I'd be happy to help out with any questions, so please don't hesitate to give me a nudge here anytime. :grin:

Hope you have a great day!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

fluxxed90 New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    fsa7219 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?