cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating .txt files on PC doesn't update it on the Android app unless the file is renamed

Updating .txt files on PC doesn't update it on the Android app unless the file is renamed

Raivo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Some days ago started problems with .txt files syncing between PC and Android. When changing and saving file in PC the Anrdoid DB folder shows new saving date but when opening file the content is old. Android DB is updating the file content only when changing the file name in PC. Problem seems to be on Androids side. Syncing other way from Android to PC there are no problems. Also no problem with other file formats but .txt files. Reinstalled DB both in PC and Android but no changes.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TrevorS
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Hey @Raivo, thanks for reporting this bug! We have issued a fix that can be seen immediately on the latest Beta build of Version 370. If not then the Stable build of Version 370 starts releasing on Tuesday March 26.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @Raivo.

Have you tried clearing the cache of the Dropbox app on your Android device, to see if that helps?

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Raivo,

Our engineering team is aware of this issue and actively investigating a fix. We'll let you know when we have more information.

Regards,

Ben

Raivo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes I did that.

igrep
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm experiencing the exactly same problem. To add a workaround, we can see the updated .txt file by intentionally making a conflict: add some change (such as just a new line) to the file that looks outdated. Then the app renames the file updated on Android to mark it as "conflicted", and you'll see the right version with the original name. Of course you can remove the conflicted file.

Selemia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem here, I have a text file shared between my Linux PC and my Android mobile.
It works since many years but few days ago it stopped working.
Syncing from Android to PC works well, but, from PC to Android,  it doesn't work anymore.
My workaround is to clear the cache in the settings of the Android app.
I've to do it each time I want to synchronize my file from PC to Android.
I tried a full reinstallation of Dropbox on my mobile, nothing changes.

Gadi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem, since the March 12 update I would assume, though only noticed it yesterday. Logging out, then in again updates it. Upload works - if I edit the txt file immediately after logging in it does updated the file in the cloud and on my computer.

box-dropper
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

same problem here. on android it seems that once a txt file got cached by opening it it doesn't get invalidated even if there's a new version of the file so that it keeps opening the same old file. in this situation every save results in a conflicted copy.

for a workaround clearing the app cache seemingly doesn't work at all, however on a file you can check and uncheck "make available offline"

TrevorS
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Hey @Raivo, thanks for reporting this bug! We have issued a fix that can be seen immediately on the latest Beta build of Version 370. If not then the Stable build of Version 370 starts releasing on Tuesday March 26.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the delay!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TrevorS Dropbox Engineer
    box-dropper New member | Level 2
    Gadi New member | Level 2
    Selemia Explorer | Level 4
    igrep Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?