cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAULT - how to return Files and Folders BACK to their original position

VAULT - how to return Files and Folders BACK to their original position

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7

I thought I would try VAULT as there are foldesr which are very private and which I would not want to be seen by mstake etc. I created a Vault and identified some of my sensitive folders and files. I then realised that they were effecively removed from my DropBox folders and had effectively disappered except that I can see them through  webBrowser access. That is HOPELESS! I need to be able to work on these private files not simply store them away in a dungeon!

So, QUSTION : Try as I might I cannot not RETURN these foldesr and files FROM VAULT back to their original locations within my DropBox folders. You can easily ADD new files or Folders to the Vault but no way to MOVE then. Please help; I need my Files BACK asap!! 

(Not happy at all) 

John

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Iplicjian, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

You are right, your vault can only be opened from the website and the Dropbox mobile app. 

However, if you don't see any option to move the files back to their original locations, let's see if we can find a workaround for now.

Could you open your Vault on one browser tab and your Files tab in another, and try to drag a test file from your Vault to Files tab?

Let me know of any updates, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jackharrybill
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same issue. The vault may be useful for storing sensitive items but it is no use or documents that need to be worked on. I cannot find a way to move files back out of the vault. This is a serious omission and has cost me way too much time trying to do something that should be so simple. 

Thanks for the suggestion of moving things in this way but sadly it doesn't appear to work. I have all my finance folders in the vault. I have to find a way of easily being able to work on them or to move them back to the regular file system. 

Hoping for an update to the system sometime soon. 

All the best 

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7

Hello DropBox support. So the good news is that, per your suggested work-around, I have now safely returned my folders to their original position. The bad news is that your VAULT function is effectively useless . A real shame because I was very enthusiastic about the possibility of thsi this new functionality. The it should work IMHO, is that a folder or file is TABS as a in the Vault; access to which is only possible via this additional password and, of course, may not be shared or copied. 

However, your design team clearly ahve other views! Shame.

Thank you for the work around! 

John

carlvinger
Explorer | Level 4

By opening another widow, I was able to move all the files back online, what a pain!!!  You need to explain what the Vault is and what you can and can't do with it.  It's only for files that you never look at or use!!!

user27103
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem. Moved files back to the main Dropbox folder using the suggestion in this thread. ALL folders and files that were moved to vault and subsequently returned to my primary Dropbox folder now show a modified date of today. The modify date is (was) helpful information for me and those true mod dates have now been wiped. So this is another issue to keep in mind, for any other users considering Vault.

surfmex
New member | Level 2

I cant seem to have 2 tabs open at the same time to drag over the file from vault back to dropbox.  This is not cool at all.  Very poorly thought out.  So can someone please explain to me exactly how this is done?  I am  knocking my brains out trying to restore my work

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

surfmex New member | Level 2
    user27103 Explorer | Level 4
    carlvinger Explorer | Level 4
    Iplicjian Helpful | Level 7
    jackharrybill Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?