cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I delete a file, why do I receive a message that it will be "deleted from all devices"?

When I delete a file, why do I receive a message that it will be "deleted from all devices"?

TuiAllen
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I hope this is in the right place. Not sure. It is probably the stupidest question but has puzzled me for ages.

I sometimes have a file on dropbox I want to delete because it is now out of date. I just want to replace that one file with the up-to-date version. So I try to delete it. Then I get a message from dropbox asking me if I want it deleted on all my devices. Of course I do not because then it would delete the up-to-date one on my own computer. I only want to delete the out-of-date one on dropbox, so I can put the latest version in its place. So I did complicated things like re-naming the newer version on my computer to stop dropbox recognising and deleting it. That worked. But I got sick of that.
So I tested it with a file that did not matter. I found that dropbox does not in fact delete it from my home computer. Only from dropbox. So why does it give me this alarming message warning that it is going to delete it everywhere?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @TuiAllen,

The notification is just to clarify that removing the file from the Dropbox folder will in turn delete the file from your account, so it will also be removed from your other devices.

The Dropbox desktop app doesn’t have the ability to read the files outside of the Dropbox folder so it wouldn’t be able to delete anything outside that folder either. The method you want to use doesn’t need any more steps than simply deleting the old file and then adding the new one to your Dropbox folder in its place.

Hope this helps clarify the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @TuiAllen,

The notification is just to clarify that removing the file from the Dropbox folder will in turn delete the file from your account, so it will also be removed from your other devices.

The Dropbox desktop app doesn’t have the ability to read the files outside of the Dropbox folder so it wouldn’t be able to delete anything outside that folder either. The method you want to use doesn’t need any more steps than simply deleting the old file and then adding the new one to your Dropbox folder in its place.

Hope this helps clarify the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Intact
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I have accidentally selected for this message not to come up anymore, anyone knows how can i make DropBox ask me this question everytime?

Thanks 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @Intact!

Can you try the steps below and let me know if that does the trick?

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. Hold the Alt+H (Windows) keys or the Space bar (Mac).
  6. Click the option "Reset file system warnings".

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

usrcm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What can we do to stop these notifications?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @usrcm, generally when you see one, there's an option to disable them with a checkbox to prevent seeing them again.

Are you on a Mac or Windows device?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

usrcm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This happens on Windows Server 2019 & Windows 10 Professional.

Screenshot of the issue: https://gyazo.com/25298e377b43c1cccd9e72aaa899ef46

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Are you getting these messages solely for online-only files, or do you get them for local files as well?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    usrcm Helpful | Level 6
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?