cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I see changes my colleague makes to files in my Dropbox account, and how can we fix this?

Why can't I see changes my colleague makes to files in my Dropbox account, and how can we fix this?

Bali_Trading
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Files edited by a colleague of mine on her computer does not sync with the files I have on mine. I cannot see the changes she's made.

Both our Dropboxes are up to date. I also do not get a notification if she makes changes to any of the files on Dropbox.

What can cause this? And how do we fix it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It's one of these things:

- They have left the shared folder. Have them place a random txt file in there, check online if it has added to the shared folder? ... if they say yes and you don't see it then that's your answer.

- The folder they are working on isn't in Dropbox / their Dropbox app isn't running. That text file from the above step, do they see it online? ... if the answer was no then here's the issue

Hope this helps you.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Do you see the changes online at www.dropbox.com/home ?

Is your Dropbox running? If so what does it say if you mouse over its icon on the status bar?

Have one of you accidentally left the share? www.dropbox.com/share

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bali_Trading
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I do not see the changes online.

My Dropbox is running. It gives me the version 40.4.46 and an Up to date message

We both have the file shared.

What makes this even stranger is that the updates on this specific file used to work till about a month ago.

Other people with access to this file can also not see the changes. So the problem should be on my colleagues side?

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution
Do you have the same issue in the other direction? If you create a new or edit an existing file, do your colleague and the other people with access to the file see the changes?

Bali_Trading
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The others can see my changes, but not this specific colleague

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution
Then I would say that the issue is on your colleagues end. Try removing him/her from the list of users sharing the folder and then re-adding?

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@Bali_Trading wrote:

The others can see my changes, but not this specific colleague

Hello, @Bali_Trading...

Not sure if this will be the cause, but I figured I'd post this so your colleague can help alleviate this as a possible reason.

You didn't specify what type of account you use (eg: BasicIndividual or Team).

How much storage space does it show when your colleague looks here while being logged-in to Dropbox.com (eg: 825 MB of 2 GB used)?  If your colleague is over their storage space quota then their files cannot upload for you to view (nor will they receive your updated files).

I suggest that you read the first article listed below that explains Sharing a Collaborative Folder requires enough storage space in both of your accounts (unless everyone is a member of the same Dropbox Business Account).

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It's one of these things:

- They have left the shared folder. Have them place a random txt file in there, check online if it has added to the shared folder? ... if they say yes and you don't see it then that's your answer.

- The folder they are working on isn't in Dropbox / their Dropbox app isn't running. That text file from the above step, do they see it online? ... if the answer was no then here's the issue

Hope this helps you.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    310EI Super User
    groundhog Super User alumni
    Bali_Trading New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?