cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why did all of my files disappear?

Why did all of my files disappear?

Mark H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A folder that is owned by me and shared with two others is now empty. What happened to all of my image files? How do I get them back?

104 Replies 104

30292AF-ito
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Last week, 26 July 2018, I had immediate access to a very large list of files; but today nothing but access to an old list of files associated with my ACER notebook. Did I exceed my free program limits? If so, I would at least wish to drop many of those files. Lloyd Skaalen

@Rich wrote:

As I am a basic user, the policy of dropbox says I can only recover the files deleted within 30days as they will be deleted for real!!! Can someone tell me whether this statement is really true or it is just bull**bleep** and I might have chances to let the staff of dropbox to recover them?

That is correct. Basic accounts, or Pro accounts without the Extended Version History addon, can only recover files for 30 days from the date they were deleted. Beyond that they cannot be recovered, even by Dropbox staff.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @30292AF-ito - what does your Events page state? Do you see the changes you mentioned logged there? Note that you can see your account's quota anytime through your account's plan tab to see if you have exceeded the space limit of your account. 

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

rjothvas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had 1000's of files in a Basic account that I haven't used in awhile, and now it's telling mee that it can't find any of my folders, and dropbox made me use Installer...are my files now all gone?  If not, where are they?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@rjothvas wrote:

... a Basic account that I haven't used in awhile ...

How long is a while? If an account remains idle for more than a year, Dropbox will remove it, which also removes all files from the system.

... and now it's telling mee that it can't find any of my folders, and dropbox made me use Installer

Is it possible that you started a new account, instead of signing into your old one? If the old one had been removed and you installed with the same email address, you would have started a new, empty account.

are my files now all gone?  If not, where are they?

If you're signing in with the same email address and the account is empty, then it's likely as I described above. Otherwise you can try checking the Events page and Deleted Files to see if the files are there, or see if it lists what happened. If both pages are empty (aside from anything new you've done), then you're in a new account.

mrptguitar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same problem on my new MacBook Pro. Totally unimpressed after setting everything up and then having all my documents disappear from my computer even though they are selected to sync.  They are accessible through the Web access but that is about as helpful as a hip-pocket in a singlet. Worse than useless, it costs me money and I paid for the privilege to waste my own time. Thanks Dropbox... as a cloud service, you suck.

Tinarslaughter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I just installed it back on my phone to find **bleep**ing everything gone. And nobody can tell me where they went!!!👿👿

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Tinarslaughter,

As a first step can you please check the account that you are signed into on the app and see if the email address is correct? Have you used your account recently on another device or the web where you saw all your files?

If you go to your Events page, do you see any deletion events there at all?

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mug123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i am having major problems with deleted files and moved files. Dropbox have not owned up to it they are a shower of lying [profanity removed as per our Community's Guidelines] never again this has caused my business no end of problems dont use dropbox 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that @mug123  - can I help somehow? 

Could you maybe elaborate on the problem you seem to be experiencing so I can assist further?

On a side note, I removed the profanity from your post - please refrain from using such language around our Community in the future. 

If you'd like me to reach out to your Dropbox associated address so I can put you in touch with our Restorations team, please let me know. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

motleytwins
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Daphne,

A few days ago, I discovered that the majority of my files/folders on Dropbox had been deleted!  I have no idea how this happened, but it has caused me some serious headaches!  I've tried to reach a real, live person at Dropbox, but to no avail!  I'm ready to cancel my subscription after several years of great service.  It is wasting so much of my time having to restore each folder individually.  Is there a faster way to simply restore everything that has been deleted in the past 10-15 days, as that is when it started?

Need more support?