cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why did all of my files disappear?

Why did all of my files disappear?

Mark H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

A folder that is owned by me and shared with two others is now empty. What happened to all of my image files? How do I get them back?

104 Replies 104

Rick G.17
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox sucks. They don't care about you or your files. I tried to get some of my files recovered and they didn't listen to what I was telling them about the missing files. Either they were lazy, incompetent or both.. it was a very simple matter I was trying to explain and they couldn't seem to wrap their minds around it NOR would they make even the remotest of attempts to fix it.

Go use google drive or get a MyCloud NAS drive.

Anne L.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

MASSIVE DELETION OF FILES--Over 45,000 files were deleted  or moved from my computer following a computer crash due to a black-out. I'm not sure how the two incidents were related, but one hour after the electricity came back on I noticed I was missing massive amount of my files including years of documents, all my endnote libraries, and PDF articles (collected over 20 years). This occurred on Monday 9/19/16. I had trouble writing a ticket because they needed a recovery file url and the link to tell me how to get it was malfunctioning. So I wrote a general email and I heard back within hours. They asked me for more information which I supplied immediately. A helpful person (Callie or Regina) wrote me back on Wednesday. She said to go to the dropbox website and look at the "events." I did so. All at 12:09 pm 28,000 files were deleted, 21,000 files were restored and many of my shared files were unshared. (just to note that when files were restored, they showed up in random places all over under the wrong sub-folders.) Callie went over my options and said that I could restore individually deleted files, or, if there were too many "events or different types of "events" she could just decide to restore all files as of a certain data/time. I wrote back 24 hours ago choosing the second  option since there were so many types of changes that all happened at  once. Have heard nothing. This is a work disaster. No access to >28,000 files since Monday!!!!! It is teaching me a lesson. BACK-UP YOUR DROPBOX FILES ON YOUR OWN. I really hope Callie and/or Regina write me back soon.

Sandy C.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I received the following back from support at dropbox and I was able to access the event information and scrolled back over the last 3 months (as that was as far back as I could go).  I found 3 deletions and 1 containing 1,115 files.  I could see the file names, but nowhere did it say Restore Files, like the instructions say. I have again sent a request for help and a request for a person to call me.  This back and forth via email is ridiculous.  I also need to go back farther than 3 months, as I didn't know a file was missing until such time as I went looking for it, so have no idea exactly when things disappeared.  Very frustrating and so unpredictable.

From Dropbox:

If you're unsure about how a file was deleted, you can see more detailed information about which user and computer added, deleted, or changed a file by looking at the "previous version history" on the web site. For more information, please visit the Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/security/recover-older-versions

Provided these files were synced to your Dropbox account, there will be record of this as well as any deletions in your events page. You can check see your Events page here:

https://www.dropbox.com/events

To refine your event search, you can filter by folder and date near the top right corner of your events page. The events on your actual events page are displayed with 2 sets of text in blue describing what happened in that event. Click on the second blue text. If there is only one set of blue text, click on that instead. That will bring you to the "Event details" page. Here in the top left of the page you should see "Restore these files". Click here to restore the files deleted in your event.

If you are unable to restore these files yourself, I will require an event link. Please provide an event link that resembles the one below:

https://www.dropbox.com/event_details/####/####/#####/

Please note that #'s are all numbers. Additionally, any text after the third series of numbers should not be included in the link you send.

For detailed instructions on obtaining an event link, please visit our Help Center:

https://help.dropbox.com/security/contact-support-missing-files

You can also use the steps below to show deleted files in any folder. You can restore it in a few clicks using the Dropbox web interface:

1) Log in to the Dropbox website:

https://www.dropbox.com

2) Browse to the folder the file should be in
3) Click the Show Deleted files button below next to the Search field on the right hand side of the page
4) Select the file or hold Control (Windows/Linux) or Command (OS X) to select multiple files that you wish to restore

L. Chau
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

What the heck with dropbox!! I set a folder to shared state, and then when I checked again 2 months later all files in it are gone!!! When I check back the event, it told me that the files are all deleted 4 mins after I changed the setting!!

As I am a basic user, the policy of dropbox says I can only recover the files deleted within 30days as they will be deleted for real!!! Can someone tell me whether this statement is really true or it is just bullshit and I might have chances to let the staff of dropbox to recover them?

William R.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I did get a resolution to my issue. I think I got a little lucky, but I ended up figuring out what happened on my own, and was able to retrieve my files. 

I am not sure how, but the deletion event (of 18526 files) appeared in the event log, since it was not there previously. I suspect someone at Dropbox did something to make it appear, but I am almost 100% sure it was not there when I placed my support request. 

Once I was able to track which files were actually missing, I was able to connect it to an issue with a Dropbox crash and selective sync. 

Earlier on the day that all my files were deleted, I had selective synced all of the deleted files to another machine. It looks to me that, instead of selective syncing them, it deleted the files (not all of them, but random ones from the folders I selected). I remember that the first time I went through the selective sync process, Dropbox had crashed when I submitted my selections. I had to relaunch it and restart the process. It was not long after that where the deletion event occurred. 

Once I identified what had happened, the Dropbox customer service team simply restored the event. 

Again, in my case I got lucky, but I believe that these event happen most commonly after crashes.

If your Dropbox ever crashes, be sure to note the time and what you were doing. It may help you in the future. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

As I am a basic user, the policy of dropbox says I can only recover the files deleted within 30days as they will be deleted for real!!! Can someone tell me whether this statement is really true or it is just bullshit and I might have chances to let the staff of dropbox to recover them?

That is correct. Basic accounts, or Pro accounts without the Extended Version History addon, can only recover files for 30 days from the date they were deleted. Beyond that they cannot be recovered, even by Dropbox staff.

Donald J.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This morning mysteriously, a whole dropbox folder disappeared. It is not a shared folder. I was using an Indesign out of it, saved the work and moved my Macbook to another room to print it. A practice I do every day. When I went to again edit the file, I couldn't find it, although all my other files are there. Can anybody help me with this please?

MissJ
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I second what Karen is saying, to a T.
Same issue. Years of unsharef Photo jpgs vanished with NO event, recovery or delete path (I did NOT delete anything, they disappeared).
What is wrong with DB? I've used it for years with no issues and out of the blue they delete MY files without telling me anything?

josemreuss
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Anne L,

I had the same issue, how are you backing those files up? This is so frustrating.

Thanks for your help...

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to butt into this @josemreuss but if you have had recent accidental deletions, I would advise to start by going to your Events page. This is the place where all changes such as edits, adds or deletes are logged and should point you toward the right direction.

Let me know what you find please and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?