cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Write annotations on a drawing file (gif) using the iPad and Dropbox app

Write annotations on a drawing file (gif) using the iPad and Dropbox app

BasseART
Helpful | Level 5

Hi!

I go sailing on a long trip and use Bracknell maps to analyze the weather conditions at sea. Those gif files are stored (and updated) in my dropbox. As I do not have a printer on board - and we are digitally... off course, that's why we have dropbox! - I would love to find a quick way to make with my pencil annotations on the document (adding arrows, indicating a low pressure area... etc - free hand drawing), using my ipad.

Till now I have even not found a feasible app to do this. A workaround is to download from dropbox to 'Photos' and then edit. But... then the edited file is on my ipad in the 'Photos' app and not in dropbox. My basic rule is to work always in files stored on Dropbox, not to make local copies.

What are your experiences?

11 Replies 11

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @BasseART, thanks for taking the time to post to the Dropbox Community!

At the moment, it's currently possible to do some modifications to image files and edit PDF files directly from Dropbox, but your exact request is not possible.

If you want, you can first take a look at Emma's tips here and then go to your Ideas section to post your feature request for other users to up-vote!

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Graham
Community Manager

Hi @BasseART,

Thanks for posting here on the Dropbox Community. As @Hannah previously said, this would make a great addition to our Share an idea section so be sure to post it there. Although, that's not the only reason I'm responding, I'm genuinely curious to hear more about how you use Dropbox for your sailing trips. 

Hearing how our Community members use Dropbox is one of the best things about spending time on this Community. Your example sounds really unique and is definitely something that I haven't heard anyone else mention while I've been here. I would love to hear more about how you use Dropbox on your trips, if you have some time to tell me about it. Have you another trip planned soon, and if so where are your travels taking you next?

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Graham

BasseART
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Graham,

Well, Dropbox has for me also in sailing an added value 🙂

First of all, I have a lot of manuals, interesting courses, books and reference books about sailing. I'm not reading those books underway, but from time to time I simply want to look up things in my archive. Instead of carrying my full archive, I have digital copies on my Dropbox - which are offline synchronised.

Secondly, sailing is (also) doing still paperwork. Keeping the logs in a table, planning a passage and drawing on a map is still important, even when having a digital plotter on board. What if the electronics fail and you have no clue where you are....? So, I work with paper and pencil, after arrival I put digital scans of these papers ... in my Dropbox.

Another feature I'm missing is: my weather files should be pushed automatically in a dropbox folder. There is online an update available every 4 hours. This is not more than 5MB of data. I would love to see those in my folders, instead of going to a website and fetch them manually. This has particulary an advantage in case of bad internet during the passage, Dropbox could do the upload/synchro in the background when there is temporarily a better connection.

BR

Bart

Graham
Community Manager

Hi Bart,

Thanks so much for the response and for explaining all of these things to me in more detail. It's funny, every time I think I've heard of all the different ways people can use Dropbox, a comment like yours comes along and reminds me that people will continue to be resourceful and creative and showing me new ways to use it.

It also makes so much sense to have your entire archive stored digitally, I'm sure space and weight on the ship are at a premium and it just would not be possible to carry large volumes of text books and catalogues with you on your journeys.

Just regarding the weather updates, I'm not sure that there is anyway to get those reports directly from the website to your Dropbox folders, but if you were able to set up email alerts, there is a feature that might work. Email to Dropbox allows allows you and your trusted contacts to forward email attachments directly to your Dropbox account using a unique email address. You can read a little more about it here.

Thanks again,

Graham

BasseART
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Graham,

I have posted the initial idea of this flow in a new idea:

Mobile Dropbox app: handwriting/annotations (with pencil) for pdf, photos and drawing files

Graham
Community Manager

Hi Bart,

That's great. I'll keep an eye out for the idea! It would be great to highlight some of the ways you use Dropbox and share them with the rest of the Community. I was wondering if it would be OK to reach out to you via the email address associated with your Community profile to discuss this further.

Have a great day!

Graham

BasseART
Helpful | Level 5

Sure you can Graham!

Graham
Community Manager

Thanks Bart, we'll be in touch with you soon!

Graham
Community Manager

Hi Bart,

I wanted to let you know that we're rewarding some of our Community members for letting us know how they use Dropbox, your usage is pretty unique and as a thank you for telling us about it we have a special reward just for you! We'll be in touch with you to let you know what it is and get it on it's way to you!

Thanks again, and have a lovely day! 

Graham

Need more support?